Fifa president Sepp Blatter has said a joint bid by Libya and Tunisia to host the World Cup in 2010 will be rejected by world football's governing body.
The 2010 World Cup will be contested on African soil
Blatter said on Wednesday: "Co-hosting between Libya and Tunisia will not be accepted by the Executive Committee."
Fifa's decision-making body, which is presided by Blatter, is due to announce the 2010 hosts in Zurich on 15 May.
Egypt, Morocco and South Africa are also in the running to stage the first ever World Cup on African soil.
"When there are individual countries capable of organising the event we will not enter into a discussion which is against our
statutes," Blatter said.
Fifa officials have repeatedly made it clear that the World Cup shared by Japan and South Korea in 2002 was a one-off event despite its success, because of the complex and costly logistics.
Tunisia had been hoping that hosting the African Nations Cup earlier this year would boost their chances of hosting the World Cup with Libya.
Blatter made no comment on the individual merits of each country as a potential host.
Television interest for the 2010 event is already growing according to Fifa's president, rebuffing criticism of the decision
to award Africa the World Cup finals.
"This proves that it's not the place where a competition is played that provides the economic impact, but the competition itself
and its inherent value... which is excellent," said Blatter.
Franz Beckenbauer, president of the German 2006 World Cup organising committee, recently questioned the decision to rotate the tournament amongst continents, partly on economic grounds.