Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Africa  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Thursday, 20 December, 2001, 09:39 GMT
Home teams into semis
Rwanda v Uganda
Rwanda (red) will now contest the semi-finals on Thursday
By Sport Online's Helen Vesperini in Kigali.

The semi-final line up for the Cecafa Cup tournament in Rwanda has been decided - and both home teams have made it through.

Surprisingly crowds at the Amahoro stadium dwindled for the quarter-final matches with many fans feeling the pinch financially.

In Tuesday's quarter finals Ethiopia beat Burundi in a penalty shoot-out to go through to Thursday's semis, while Rwanda overcame defending champions Uganda 3-2.

Ethiopia got off to the better start in the first match.

Abay Yordanos opened the scoring after 30 minutes then Bayou Mulu increased their lead 20 minutes into the second half.

 Jean Michel Yohanas
Jean Michel Yohanas scorted Ethiopia's winning penalty
But Burundi refused to give up and with eight minutes remaining Jumaine Karimbi's goal gave them hope.

Muhamed Tchit then sent the fans wild with an equaliser three minutes from time.

Thirty minutes of extra time failed to break the deadlock and the match went to penalties, with Ethiopia eventually winning it 5-3.

Maulidi Jumapili, who missed Burundi's final penalty, threw himself on the ground in despair.

But a jubilant Ethiopian coach Asrat Haile, could not hide his jubilation.

"Happy? Of course I'm happy. How can you even ask me the question?" he said.

Burundian coach Yaoundé Kagabo said defeat would serve as a lesson to his team.

"We didn't have a lot of preparation," he said.

"We have to take this tournament seriously because the last two times we didn't reach the final," he told BBC Sport Online.

The evening's second match proved just as nail-biting as Rwanda overcame defending champions Uganda 3-2.

Peter Makanga out Uganda ahead after 25 minutes but the lead was short lived as Rwanda's Eric Nshimiyimana equalised a minute later.

Before the home fans had stopped celebrating Olivier Karekezi had made it 2-1.

But Uganda were not to be outdone and two minutes into the second half Alex Isabirye equalised.

Again Rwanda pushed forward with the home fans willing them on and with 20 minutes gone Hamissi Bogumaho answered their call with a stunning strike.

Cesar Kayizari, the head of the Rwandan Football Association, admitted the game had been tough.

"Tonight was hard," he said.

"Uganda were determined also - they must be given credit."

See also:

18 Dec 01 |  Africa
Cecafa semi-finals
16 Dec 01 |  Africa
Cecafa results and fixtures
14 Dec 01 |  Africa
Cecafa quarter-finals decided
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories

^^ Back to top