BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 11:23 GMT, Thursday, 25 November 2010

South America to back Spain-Portugal 2018 World Cup bid

Advertisement

Media will not affect England 2018 bid - Jordaan

Spain and Portugal's 2018 World Cup hopes have received a boost after South America's Conmebol federation came out in support of the joint Iberian bid.

"The 10 countries are agreed to give the vote to Spain," said Conmebol's general secretary Eduardo Deluca.

That translates into three votes for the Spain-Portugal bid on 2 December with Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina represented on Fifa's executive group.

Conmebol had been expected to vote for Spain-Portugal rather than England.

Russia and Netherlands-Belgium are the other countries competing to stage the 2018 event, while Australia, the United States, Qatar, Japan and South Korea are vying to stage the 2022 finals.

The Conmebol meeting, held in the Paraguayan capital of Asuncion, did not discuss which country it will support for the 2022 finals, which will also be voted on at Fifa's Zurich headquarters on 2 December.

606: DEBATE

Earlier this week the Spain-Portugal chief executive Miguel Angel Lopez claimed they already had secured as many as eight of the 22 Fifa votes - "All the fish is sold," said the Iberian head.

Last week Fifa executive committee members Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii were banned from voting in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting ballot.

Their exclusion leaves 22 members on Fifa's executive committee with Uefa having eight votes, Concacaf (three), Asia (four), and Oceania unable to vote following Temarii's ban.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter also votes, with the world governing body chief also having the casting vote in the event of a tie, with the executive committee voting in rounds until one bidder has a simple majority.

England can perhaps count on four first-round votes and must then hope to beat Russia and Holland-Belgium and then bring those votes on board to get past Spain/Portugal.

Meanwhile, Lord Coe has advised England's 2018 World Cup bid team not to let the BBC's expose of Fifa affect the efforts they put into campaigning.

The Panorama programme will be aired next Monday with the vote for the right to host the tournament held in Zurich three days later.

"You have to focus on the job at hand," said London 2012 chairman Coe, who helped bring the Olympics to the city.

"Outside noises are not going to stop you getting across the line."

The 54-year-old Olympic gold medallist added: "It is really a very important discipline in the process of a bid to just simply focus on the messages.

"You deliver those messages right to the moment where there is nowhere else to go and you maintain clear heads."

The BBC programme will be the second media investigation into Fifa in recent weeks following a Sunday Times story that led to the banning of Adamu and Temarii.

Last week, England 2018 chief executive Andy Anson accused the BBC of being "unpatriotic" and "sensationalist" by choosing to show the programme so close to the vote.

We are at a critical time - Dein

Danny Jordaan, who was the head of South Africa's organising committee for the 2010 tournament, said he thought the impact of the media was being exaggerated.

"I think it is being overstated, I don't think media will have an impact to such an extent to swing the decision one way or the other," he told BBC Sport.

"People understand - before and after the bidding process, the media will be there and we must not over-react to what the media has put out there."

While England will not have Conmebol's support the bid will have the backing of the recently engaged Prince William, who will be in Zurich with the England 2018 campaign team, which will also consist of Prime Minister David Cameron and England player David Beckham.

Jordaan said having the voting for two tournaments taking place at the same time added to the intensity of the competition, and said that Fifa would not repeat the process in the future.

"I think 2 December will come and go, the decision will be made and I think Fifa will look at the whole experience around 2018 and 2022," he said.

"The president has already said they will not have two decisions to be made in one process. We will see what the learnings have been after the decision has been made."



Print Sponsor


see also
Dein calls for 2018 bid support
23 Nov 10 |  Football
Fifa 'corruption' pair given bans
18 Nov 10 |  Football
Russia 2018 bid dealt Fifa blow
17 Nov 10 |  Football
England 2018 bid rated 'low risk'
16 Nov 10 |  Football
Qatar 2022 bid hopes suffer blow
17 Nov 10 |  Football
The World Cup in their hands
02 Dec 10 |  Football


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.