BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 07:34 GMT, Friday, 10 September 2010 08:34 UK

David Beckham still hopeful of playing for England

Advertisement

I still have England chance - Beckham

David Beckham remains hopeful of playing international football again after speaking to England team manager Fabio Capello.

Last month Capello said the LA Galaxy midfielder was "too old" for a recall before backtracking on his decision.

"He's said if you're playing well and you're fit you can play," said Beckham.

However, 35-year-old Beckham has ruled out a return to Europe on loan therefore limiting his chances of an early England comeback.

Beckham is approaching a competitive return for his American club having been out of action for nearly six months.

The former Manchester United star ruptured his Achilles while on loan with AC Milan earlier this year - an injury that ruled him out of the World Cup.

And although Capello has urged him to return to Europe to prove his fitness, Beckham believes he needs a break from the game during Major League Soccer's close season.

Capello hails Beckham contribution

"I think I need a rest, my body needs that," he said. "I've been hitting it quite hard for the last couple of years and the injury is because of that.

"So I think it's now time for me to maybe look at myself, look at my fitness and make sure I have that first before I make any other decisions."

Last month Capello said Beckham's international career was over, announcing it to the media in a television interview without speaking to the former England captain.

Beckham's agent immediately released a statement confirming the player's desire to carry on playing for England.

And in an embarrassing U-turn the Italian suggested last week that the midfielder could still force his way back into the squad.

"Obviously it was a surprise when Fabio Capello said I was too old," said Beckham, who has 115 caps.

"He spoke to me after that (television interview) and explained everything to me and it was all brushed under the carpet. At the end of the day, the manager's got a job to do and he's doing that well."

Beckham admitted the past six months had been the hardest of his career, but things are finally looking up and he could be on the bench for Galaxy's game against Columbus Crew on Saturday.

"Not playing for six months is really tough. It's the first time that's happened to me in my life," said Beckham.

"Yes I've had other injuries but nothing that has kept me out for so long.

606: DEBATE

"It's so frustrating when you are injured and you're not involved in the game and you can't do anything. But it's made me realise how much I do love the game."

Beckham added: "The important thing for me is the soccer. As long as I can get on the field and get myself fit, that's what matters.

"I'm feeling very good and I'm ready. I've been working hard with the rehab, trying to get the strength back in my legs."



Print Sponsor


see also
Beckham eyes 11 September return
02 Sep 10 |  Football
Capello hints at Beckham recall
29 Aug 10 |  Football
Coach Capello casts Beckham aside
11 Aug 10 |  Football
West Ham keen to recruit Beckham
12 Aug 10 |  West Ham
No third Milan stint for Beckham
31 Jul 10 |  Europe
Beckham confirms 2010 World Cup role
14 May 10 |  World Cup 2010
Beckham's World Cup dream over
15 Mar 10 |  Europe
Beckham steps down from captain's role
02 Jul 06 |  Football
England pressure inspires Capello
03 Sep 10 |  Football


related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.