BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 10:24 GMT, Thursday, 16 July 2009 11:24 UK

Hamann keen on top-flight return

By Russell Barder

Dietmar Hamann
Hamann denied that he has been in talks with Hull City

Dietmar Hamann says he has turned down offers from abroad as he bids to stay in the Premier League.

The 35-year-old German was released by Manchester City earlier this month having spent three years at Eastlands, after signing from Liverpool in 2006.

"I have had offers from teams abroad, including Germany, but my priority is England," he told BBC Sport.

"I spoke to a couple of Premier League clubs and would like to stay in the Premier League if possible."

Newcastle paid Bayern Munich £5.5m to bring midfielder Hamann to England in 1998, but he played just 23 games for the Magpies before moving to Liverpool the following summer.

He enjoyed plenty of success during seven years at Anfield, winning the Champions League, FA Cup, Uefa Cup and League Cup, before moving to City on a free transfer.

Hull City have been mentioned as a possible destination for Hamann, but he denied he has held talks with Phil Brown's side and hopes a deal with any interested party is concluded soon.

If nothing does come up, or if nothing happens that satisfies me in the next few weeks, then I have to change my focus and priorities and I will speak to people and start coaching.

Dietmar Hamann

"There was some talk, but I have not spoken to them," he said.

"I have spoken to one or two others and there may be a chance that something comes up so I don't want to mention anybody specifically.

"But I have been in contact with two or three so I just have to wait and see now.

"Obviously the quicker anything can be done the better because pre-season has started and I'm working by myself and keeping myself fit - it is different training and working with a team so the sooner something does come up the better."

Hamann believes he is still capable of at least one more season in England's top flight, but says if nothing does come up then he would consider a career in coaching.

"I still think I have got a couple of years left in me," he added.

"On the other hand I started my coaching badges in May, I've done the first course - level two and three - and I want to carry that on regardless if I play or not.

"Obviously if nothing does come up, or if nothing happens that satisfies me in the next few weeks, then I have to change my focus and priorities and I will speak to people and start coaching."



Print Sponsor


see also
Man City allow quartet to leave
01 Jul 09 |  Man City
Hamann makes switch to Man City
12 Jul 06 |  Man City


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.