Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
---------------
---------------
CHOOSE A SPORT
 
RELATED BBC SITES
Last Updated: Thursday, 14 June 2007, 16:28 GMT 17:28 UK
Barton completes move to Magpies
Joey Barton
Barton's time at Man City has been dogged by controversy
Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton has completed a 5.8m move to Newcastle after agreeing a five-year deal.

Both West Ham and Newcastle submitted bids of 5.5m for the 24-year-old England international last week.

But his move to Newcastle hit a stumbling block over City's refusal to pay 300,000 that Barton was said to be owed as part of the transfer.

But the Magpies improved their offer to 5.8m on Thursday and the bid was accepted by City.

Barton said: "I am delighted to be here. As soon as it came to speaking to people at Newcastle, it became clear they have the desire and ambition to succeed.

"The people I am going to work with have the ambitions to match mine and I hope this is the start of a successful era for myself and the club.

"I have always admired Sam from afar. The job he did at Bolton was just phenomenal."

Allardyce said he was thrilled to have landed a player he believes will be a major addition to his squad.

He said: "It's a great coup for me and this football club to get a player of such outstanding talent, something he has proven over the last four years at Manchester City."

Barton was reportedly entitled to 300,000 if he left the club without requesting a transfer, but City were reluctant to pay it as they argued he was not being forced to leave.

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce criticised City for the hold-up and the Eastlands side responded with anger at him for making the dispute public.

The Professional Footballers' Association intervened but it seems the situation has been resolved by Newcastle increasing their bid.

Barton made his debut for Manchester City in April 2003 and has made nearly 150 appearances for the club.

606: DEBATE
DavidHankey

He won his first England cap in the friendly against Spain at Old Trafford in February.

But his career has also been blighted by controversy and he ended the season out of favour at City after an alleged training ground assault on team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

After the Dabo incident in May, City suspended Barton, with the midfielder missing the club's last two games of the season.

Greater Manchester Police questioned Barton on suspicion of assault following Dabo's claims he was attacked during a training session at City's Carrington training ground on 1 May.

A police spokesman said Barton had been bailed until 11 July pending further inquiries.

In 2004, Barton was fined a club record six weeks' wages after stubbing out a cigar in team-mate Jamie Tandy's eye during City's Christmas party.

Barton ended up in more trouble during City's pre-season tour of Thailand in 2005, when he physically attacked a schoolboy Everton fan and had to be restrained by team-mate Richard Dunne.

Barton was subsequently sent home in disgrace and fined eight weeks' wages.



SEE ALSO
Man City Q&A
13 Jun 07 |  Man City
Man City hit back in Barton row
13 Jun 07 |  Football
Players' union enters Barton row
12 Jun 07 |  Football
Barton is arrested over assault
16 May 07 |  Manchester
Rozehnal eager to join Newcastle
05 Jun 07 |  Newcastle United
Ramos tipped to manage Man City
05 Jun 07 |  Man City
Viduka set for Newcastle transfer
05 Jun 07 |  Newcastle United


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us