Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 12 May 2007, 15:10 GMT 16:10 UK
Kidderminster 2-3 Stevenage
By Ian Hughes

Mitchell Cole
Cole celebrates scoring Stevenage's first goal
Stevenage came back from two goals down against Kidderminster to lift the FA Trophy in the first competitive match held at the new Wembley stadium.

James Constable opened the scoring on 31 minutes when he tapped in after Iyseden Christie's shot and he doubled the lead with a low drive.

But after the break, an angled shot from Mitchell Cole and Craig Dobson's poked effort levelled the match.

Then Steve Morison struck the winner at the second attempt on 88 minutes.

After a tentative start from both sides - perhaps understandable in front of a record crowd of 53,262 - it was Kidderminster who began to find their fluency.

Controlling the midfield, and taking advantage of a deep-sitting Stevenage backline, Kiddie started to find some penetration.


And it was Constable who supplied the end product, when he was on hand to stab home after Christie's shot on the turn was blocked.

It was the first goal Kidderminster had scored in more than seven hours of football - but their fans had to wait just six minutes for another.

After a surging run, Constable fizzed in a low shot from the edge of the box, which nestled into the corner.

Stevenage at that point looked down and out, but manager Mark Stimson's half-time team-talk must have been inspired as they came out a different side after the break.

Playing with greater thrust and belief, Stevenage were rewarded only six minutes after the restart when Luke Oliver nodded the ball down to Cole, who finished smartly from the right-hand side of the box.

And they could have been level if Santos Gaia had directed a free header more accurately just before the hour mark.

But the equaliser did come on 74 minutes, when substitute Dobson latched on to a hopeful long punt and toe poked the ball past onrushing keeper Scott Bevan.

Incredibly, Stevenage completed a remarkable comeback when Morison saw his volley saved by Bevan but reacted fastest to smash home the rebound and snatch the glory.

  • Stevenage boss Mark Stimson:
    "At half-time I told my players to believe in themselves and that they are good players.

    "I thought we would go on to win it if we got one goal back."

  • Harriers manager Mark Yates:
    "I'm really proud of my players - they were brilliant. I'm devastated for them. We didn't deserve to get beaten."

    Kidderminster: Bevan, Kenna, Hurren, Creighton, Whitehead, Russell, Blackwood, Penn, Smikle (Reynolds 90), Christie (White 76), Constable.
    Subs Not Used: Taylor, McGrath, Sedgemore.

    Booked: Penn, Hurren.

    Goals: Constable 31, 37.

    Stevenage: Julian, Fuller, Nutter, Henry, Gaia, Cole, Beard, Miller, Guppy (Dobson 63), Oliver, Morison.
    Subs Not Used: Slabber, Potter, Nurse, McMahon.

    Booked: Oliver, Fuller.

    Goals: Cole 51, Dobson 74, Morison 88.

    Att: 53,262

    Ref: C Foy (Merseyside).

    FA Trophy final photos
    12 May 07 |  Football


    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
    Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

    Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us