The Football Association is refusing to comment on new allegations made by the News of the World regarding the Sven-Goran Eriksson controversy.
The paper reported that the FA offered details of Eriksson's private life providing allegations regarding chief executive Mark Palios were kept quiet.
"We have nothing to say," insisted the FA's spokesman Adrian Bevington.
"At the moment we have to evaluate the reports and take things further if needed," he added.
The News of the World published transcripts of several telephone conversations held with FA head of communications Colin Gibson.
The phone calls took place after the newspaper told the FA they were about to reveal that Palios had an affair with the same woman as Eriksson - secretary Faria Alam.
At one point the newspaper reports Gibson as saying: "What I'm proposing is that I give you chapter and verse on her (Faria Alam) and Sven."
The transcript also revealed that Palios was about to begin a trial reconciliation with his ex-wife and that the allegations of his affair with Alam would "blow it out of the water".
Eriksson was apparently unaware of the offer made by Gibson on behalf of the FA.
Gibson told BBC Radio Five Live that the full details of the situation were known by the FA.
"I fully complied with the FA inquiry, gave them complete details of the events of 24 July, including transcripts of telephone calls, my minute-to-minute movements and also supplied a complete list of telephone calls," he said.
"The FA knew about the details last week and the attempts to broker a deal."
Eriksson's agent Athole Still said the FA had earlier denied that an such offer had been made.
"I did have a suggestion earlier in the week that there was something in this and frankly I couldn't believe it," Still told the BBC.
"I approached somebody I respected in the FA and I got a categorical denial so we just assumed it wasn't true.
"That's really all I can say. I have to reserve my position and somehow hope that it's not as bad as it seems. It's not a nice situation at all and nobody's happy about this.
"I'm really surprised and in shock at what I'm reading."
And he added: "I spoke to Sven on Saturday night when I heard from the News of the World that this was going to be printed.
"He absolutely did not want to comment in any way."
Professional Footballers Association chief executive Gordon Taylor was highly critical of the handling of the situation.
"It is a soap
opera that keeps running with different information coming out all the time,
things just add to it," Taylor told Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme.
"It now appears there are different agendas within the FA with regard to
Sven's position, which is rather undermining to say the least."
The 56-year-old Swede will discover his fate at a special meeting of the 13-man FA board on Thursday.