Adrian Mutu is reported to have walked out on Chelsea as a result of his dispute with manager Jose Mourinho.
The pair have been at odds over the striker's fitness, with Mutu defying Mourinho's wishes by playing a World Cup qualifier for Romania last weekend.
Mourinho admitted on Friday that he could not be certain that Mutu would play for the club again.
And a newspaper report on Saturday said Mutu had gone to Italy for a holiday without the club's permission.
Mutu was signed for £15.8m from Parma by previous manager Claudio Ranieri in August last year.
But he has made just two substitute appearances in the Premiership under Mourinho this season.
The dispute with Mourinho escalated when Mutu played for Romania, even though Chelsea had told him he needed time to recover from knee and thigh injuries.
Mutu accused Mourinho of saying he was injured to stop him playing against the Czech Republic, a claim denied by the Chelsea manager.
Mourinho said there had been an "internal" meeting upon Mutu's return over a "personal situation".
And, when asked on Friday if he thought Mutu would play for Chelsea again, Mourinho said: "I do not see why not...I cannot say yes.
"At this moment, he cannot train.
"I have individual programmes for my staff to work with him to improve certain qualities and because of the medical problems he has, he is not able to go through these programmes.
"So at this moment I feel this day is far."