BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Tuesday, 1 October, 2002, 22:31 GMT 23:31 UK
Oxford stun Charlton
Oxford United's winning penalty scorer Jefferson Louis celebrates with goalkeeper Andy Woodman
United's Louis hammered home the winning penalty
0-0 (after extra time)
(Oxford win 6-5 on penalties)

Charlton's nightmare season went from bad to worse at The Valley as Third Division Oxford dumped them out of the Worthington Cup.

Ian Atkins' side won a penalty shoot-out 6-5 after a goal-less 120 minutes to leave Addicks boss Alan Curbishley stunned.

Both sides had missed three penalties before Radostin Kishishev's effort was saved - leaving United's substitute striker Jefferson Louis to blast home the winner.

Charlton are second-bottom in the Premiership having lost four home league games in a row.

The Addicks' first-half frustration was fuelled largely by United keeper Andy Woodman's display in goal.

The closest the Addicks came to beating him was when Shaun Bartlett had a goal ruled out for offside - and when the keeper fingertipped Jason Euell's 25-yard curler onto the post.

Missed chances

In the second half Oxford substitute Manny Omoyimni went close twice, while Euell and Mathias Svensson squandered good chances for Charlton.

Both teams could have scored in the 82nd minute, with Oxford skipper Andy Crosby bringing a fine save from Dean Kiely - and Claus Jensen firing wide on the breakaway.

Oxford survived a late penalty appeal when Scott McNiven handled John Robinson's shot, but escaped because he was protecting his face.

In extra-time, Woodman made another fine save from Euell's angled strike - and at the other end, McNiven's long-range thunderbolt deflected wide.

Konchesky also shot off target from distance, before Johansson blew a wonderful opportunity and fired wide from 12 yards.

In the second period, Charlton substitute Steve Brown went close from fully 35 yards.

And in the 117th minute, Oxford' Louis fired over after a wayward pass by Jensen.

In the penalty shoot-out, both sides missed three apiece - Euell, Jensen and Steve Brown for Charlton and Matthew Bound, Bobby Ford and Dave Savage for Oxford.

But in the decisive ninth round of spot-kicks, Kishishev's effort was saved - leaving United's Louis to net home the winner.

Charlton: Kiely, Rufus, Fish, Fortune, Kishishev, Jensen, Euell, Mustoe, Konchesky, Johansson, Bartlett. Subs: Rachubka, Robinson, Brown, Bart-Williams, Svensson.

Oxford Utd: Woodman, Crosby, Viveash, Bound, McNiven, Savage, Oldfield, Hunt, Robinson, Scott, Ford. Subs: Powell, Waterman, Whitehead, Omoyimni, Louis.

Referee: P Joslin (Nottinghamshire)

BBC Five Live's Sohail Saha
"The fantasy of cup football lives on"
Oxford's Jefferson Louis
"The hero for the day"

Wednesday's games

Tuesday's games

Links to more Football stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Football stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales