BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Tuesday, 10 September, 2002, 20:59 GMT 21:59 UK
Burnley 3-0 Blackpool

Burnley took the honours in their Lancashire derby with Blackpool to advance into the second round of the Worthington Cup.

The Clarets, who only won for the first time this season on Saturday at Derby, took an early lead through Dean West as they dominated the first half.

Blackpool briefly looked like finding a way back into the game in the second half.

But two goals from substitute Dimo Papadopoulos killed off their hopes of a revival.

The home side had quickly taken a stranglehold on the game and needed just 12 minutes to end their opponents' run of five successive clean sheets.

Robbie Blake's persistence won a free-kick on the edge of the area and West drilled the dead ball low through the wall and past goalkeeper Phil Barnes.

Burnley continued to pin the Seasiders back in their own half with Blake and Glen Little looking the most potent threats.

The visitors, meanwhile, rarely troubled the home goal and only had two scuffed long-range shots from Paul Dalglish to show for their efforts in the opening half hour.

Although the hosts controlled the first half, they should have made their possession count for more than the odd goal by half-time.

Breakaway move

Arthur Gnohere's diving header in injury time, which he sent wide from six yards, was typical of the opportunities they were spurning.

Blackpool could have made Burnley pay for their wastefulness seven minutes after the break, only to be equally guilty of woeful finishing themselves.

John Murphy, on as a half-time sub for Dalglish, contrived to poke wide after the ball dropped invitingly into his path eight yards out.

Just as the Seasiders threatened an equaliser, Burnley broke away for their second in the 66th minute.

Gareth Taylor flicked a long clearance on for fellow sub Papadopoulos, who had only been on the pitch for four minutes, to cleverly hook the ball over the advancing Barnes.

John Hills hit the bar for Blackpool with a clever chip in the 71st minute, but it was all over for them four minutes later with Burnley's third of the evening.

Barnes saved Taylor's penalty, awarded after a Simon Grayson handball, but Papadopoulos was on hand to turn home the rebound and save the blushes of the former Manchester City striker.

Burnley: Beresford, West, Cox, Gnohere, McGregor, Briscoe, Grant, Weller, Little, Blake, Ian Moore. Subs: Michopoulos, Payton, Alan Moore, Taylor, Papadopoulos.

Blackpool: Barnes, Jaszczun, Grayson, Coid, O'Kane, Hills, Southern, Wellens, Collins, Taylor, Dalglish. Subs: Murphy, Bullock, Walker, Burns, McMahon.

Referee: C Webster (Tyne & Wear).

Burnley boss Stan Ternent
"We had to work hard"
Blackpool boss Steve McMahon
"They deserved to win"

Wednesday's games

First round - Tuesday
Links to more Football stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Football stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales