BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Sunday, 16 February, 2003, 19:55 GMT
Great Cup upsets
Wimbledon celebrate their 1988 FA Cup Final win over Liverpool
Wimbledon produced one of the Cup's biggest shocks

Hereford 2-1 Newcastle
FA Cup third round replay, 1972

Non-league Hereford United produced one of the greatest FA Cup upsets ever when they beat First Division Newcastle 2-1 in a much delayed third round replay in 1972.

Newcastle looked destined to make it to the fourth round thanks to a late goal by Malcolm McDonald.

But the non-leaguers had other ideas and Ronnie Radford popped up to score the most famous 30-yard goal in Cup history to take the game into extra time.

Substitute Ricky George scored the winner - amid scenes of wild celebration at Edgar Street - as Hereford became the first non-league club to defeat a First Division side since 1949.

Sunderland 1-0 Leeds
FA Cup final, 1973

Second Division Sunderland had reached the final with the scalps of First Division Manchester City and Arsenal to their credit.

But holders Leeds, a force to be reckoned with in the league and the Cup, were expected to steamroll their opponents.

Ian Porterfield
Porterfield scored an unstoppable volley

Ian Porterfield, however, had not quite read the script as the Scotsman's volley crashed into the back of the Leeds net to the delight of the 20,000 Sunderland fans and 60,000 "neutrals".

Nor had Sunderland keeper Jim Montgomery who, having kept out Trevor Cherry's header, twisted up from a prostrate position to acrobatically turn away Peter Lorimer's rasping follow-up onto the crossbar.

Bob Stokoe's triumphant side became the first Second Division outfit to win the Cup in 40 years.

Wrexham 2-1 Arsenal
FA Cup third round, 1992

Second in the Premiership against 24th in the Third Division.

Reigning league champions Arsenal made the trip to Racecourse Ground for what was supposed to be an elementary exercise in disposing of lower division fodder.

Mickey Thomas
Thomas came up trumps for Wrexham

The Gunners had taken the lead just before half time courtesy of Alan Smith and were just 10 minutes from securing their passage to the fourth round.

But up stepped former Manchester United firebrand Mickey Thomas, who unleashed a 25-yard free-kick past David Seaman.

Wrexham were in the ascendancy and could sense an upset.

Two minutes later their instincts were to be proved right as 20-year-old Steve Watkin surged into the Arsenal area to strike home the winner.

Bournemouth 2-0 Man Utd
FA Cup third round, 1984

Ron Atkinson took the FA Cup holders to Dean Court to face a less than average Third Division Bournemouth.

The Cherries, then under the stewardship of Harry Redknapp, had every right to think that Manchester United's love affair with the Cup would continue with an easy win.

But United, perennial underachievers in the league, came unstuck against a bouyant Bournemouth.

They outplayed the Division One outfit and ran out worthy winners with Milton Graham and Ian Thompson scoring the goals that marked the Reds' early exit.

Liverpool 0-1 Wimbledon
FA Cup final, 1988

The "crazy gang" waltzed into Wembley with nothing to lose and everything to prove to those football purists who had knocked their long-ball style of play.

A Liverpool win was predicted but Dons boss Don Howe had a plan.

His plan proved one of the FA Cup's greatest tactical triumphs as Liverpool were not allowed to settle with the threat of John Barnes effectively contained.

Lawrie Sanchez
Sanchez sent the "crazy gang" wild

Wimbledon took the lead when Lawrie Sanchez rose higher than any of his Liverpool counterparts to send a looping header past the stranded Bruce Grobbelaar from Dennis Wise's free-kick.

Grobbelaar's opposite number Dave Beasant performed heroics to keep his side's lead in tact, saving John Aldridge's penalty on the hour.

Beasant's outstretched left hand was enough to give Wimbledon a famous victory and send him into the annals of FA Cup history.

He became the first man to save a Cup final penalty and the first keeper to lift the Cup as captain.

Links to more Football stories are at the foot of the page.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Football stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales