Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepagefeedback | low graphics version

You are in: You are in: Football  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather


BBC Sport's David Croft
"No fairy-tale return to Villa park for Forest Green's Nigel Spink David Norton or Tony Daley"
 real 14k

Canvey Island boss Geoff King
"I knew we'd win today, I just knew"
 real 14k

Sunday, 13 May, 2001, 13:09 GMT 14:09 UK
Canvey stun Forest to lift Trophy
Canvey Island celebrate with the FA trophy after beating Forest Green 1-0 at Villa Park
Canvey Island celebrate with the FA trophy
Canvey Island 1-0 Forest Green Rovers

Rymans League Canvey Island stunned their Conference opponents Forest Green Rovers as they produced a gutsy performance to win the FA Umbro trophy at Villa Park.

Ben Chenery will be the toast of Canvey after scoring the only goal of the game to give the underdogs victory in a fiercely contested final.

Forest Green had six regulars cup-tied and their play was, perhaps unsurprisngly, disjointed.

Former Aston Villa winger Tony Daley was expected to provide their attacking impetus.

But aside from a mazy run at the start of the game, he was a largely anonymous presence on his return to his old stamping ground.

Canvey settled into their game more quickly, making better use of their posession and proving more incisive coming forward.

Forest Green looked particularly susceptible from set-plays and with just 16 minutes gone their weakness was exploited.

Poor defending

Chenery scored his first goal of the season from Canvey Island's first corner of the match.

Mark Stimson's centre, which followed a well rehearsed short-corner, was inviting.

Chenery took advantage of some slack marking from the Forest Green defence and rose unchallenged to power his header past the exposed Steve Perrin.

Then Steve Parmenter went close to doubling Canvey's lead as he made a penetrating run from the midfield but Perrin was equal to his shot, diving to his right to make a decent stop.

Jason Drysdale's frustration was evident when he was booked for a late challenge, as the temperature rose and tempers flared.

But Drysdale's tenacity failed to wake them from their slumber, despite a change of formation in an attempt to release him into a more attacking role.

The switch to three centre-backs seemed to hinder rather than help their cause.

And it took a superb tackle from Adam Lockwood to stop Wayne Vaughan in his tracks.

Ben Chenery with the FA trophy -his goal was the winner for Canvey Island versus Forest Green
Ben Chenery's goal gave Canvey victory
The on-loan Reading defender's perfeclty executed sliding intervention prevented Forest Green from falling further behind.

Daley switched flanks after the interval, with Frankie Bennet coming on to play on the right.

Lacking cutting-edge

Daley's pace began to cause Canvey problems, particularly Stimpson who was booked after a lunge on the former England international.

Some stern words at half-time from Rovers boss Nigel Spink had clearly shaken them from their lethargy.

But an increase in possession was not delivering any clear-cut goal-scoring opportunities.

Canvey still looked dangeous and Duffy worked his way into the box, but his shot was blocked and Parmenter blazed wildly over the bar from the rebound.

The threat sparked Forest Green into life and as Canvey sat back, the pressure built and the Conference side started to take a grip on the game.

Adie Foster headed over from Martin Foster's cross, when he should have levelled the score.

Then Daley's long-range effort was well saved by Ashley Harrison, as Canvey continued to stand firm.

With 15 minutes remaining Rovers brought on Paul Hunt as they intensified their efforts to score an equaliser.

Two years ago it was his goal that kept Rovers in the Conference, but his contribution this time was less impacting.

It only amounted to a confrontation with Simpson, and he received a blow to his face as the Canvey player reacted to a challenge.

Simpson, who had earlier been booked was lucky to stay on the pitch.

As Rovers conrtinued to press, they left themselves open to the counter-attack and Canvey should have eased their nerves with a second goal with five minutes left to play.

Kennedy's low cross sat up for Gregory and he struck the ball sweetly on the volley, but high of the goal.

A trio of bookings followed a fracas as Bennett appeared to throw a flurry of punches.

The biggest shock of the afternoon was not Canvey's success but that there remained a full complement of players on the pitch at the end of the match.

Canvey Island: Harrison, Kennedy, Duffy, Chenery, Bodley, Ward, Tilson, Stimson, Gregory, Vaughan, Parmenter. Subs: Bennett, Jones, Adam Miller, Tanner, Ian Thompson.

Forest Green: Perrin, Cousins, Lockwood, Martin Foster, Clark, Burns, Daley, Drysdale, Adrian Foster, Meechan, Slater. Subs: Hunt, Hedges, Bennett, Prince, Ghent. Referee: A Wiley (Burntwood)

See also:

13 May 01 |  Football
King: It couldn't be better
Links to more Football stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Football stories

^^ Back to top