Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepagefeedback | low graphics version

You are in: You are in: Cricket: The Ashes  
Front Page 
The Ashes 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather


BBC Sport's Pat Murphy
"England's chasing score was beyond expectations"
 real 14k

England bowler Darren Gough
"Today, things went my way"
 real 56k

Friday, 17 August, 2001, 17:46 GMT 18:46 UK
Spirited England fight back
Glenn McGrath charges in at Michael Atherton
Atherton was finally undone by the skill of McGrath
Fourth Test, Headingley: Australia 447 all out England 155-2 (close)

Click here for scorecard
Click here for your say on the action

Nasser Hussain and Mark Butcher fought valiantly as England recovered from Glenn McGrath's double blow before bad light brought an early end to an action-packed second day in the fourth Test at Headingley.

Chasing Australia's first innings total of 447, both batsmen battled patiently and positively in the increasing gloom as England overcame the downfall of Michael Atherton and Marcus Trescothick.

England had begun brightly with the two openers working hard to contain the lively Jason Gillespie and McGrath but their departure after tea inspired some rare resolve from the hosts.

Darren Gough had earlier shined with the ball claiming five wickets for 103 as Damien Martyn scored a stunning 118, his second Test century coming off 125 balls.

Mark Butcher at the crease for England
Butcher's innings has been a vital one for England

The Australians had begun the day on 288-4, as Martyn continued his fine work but he had to endure an unexpected batting collapse with his colleagues struggling at the other end.

Debutant Simon Katich was the first to fall in the day after looking nervous in the opening hour.

Standing in for the injured Steve Waugh, Katich was clean bowled by an inswinger from Gough for 15 without offering a shot.

Just before the lunch interval, Adam Gilchrist had looked in ominous form, hitting 19 off 20 balls, but was caught by Trescothick diving forward at cover.

Shane Warne (0) then skied one to Alec Stewart off Gough - Brett Lee (0) was next edging to Mark Ramprakash at gully to give Alan Mullally his first wicket of the match.

Damien Martyn celebrates his century at Headingley
A delighted Martyn claims his century

More joy for Gough followed as Jason Gillespie (5) was caught by Atherton - the Australian innings was completed as Martyn edged to Stewart after Atherton failed to hold on to the initial knock.

The English innings had begun in dramatic style, as Trescothick survived an early scare after edging to Mark Waugh, but the third umpire silenced the celebrations as the ball was deemed to have hit the ground.

Atherton (22) was England's first wicket, snapped up by Gilchrist, and then Trescothick (37) repeated the feat with a wild attempted pull.

The England camp will be delighted with their efforts, but Tests are won over five days and not the one.

The Ashes may have been lost but it is important the players continue to show similar heart and fight over the next three days.

England: Nasser Hussain (captain), Michael Atherton, Marcus Trescothick, Mark Butcher, Mark Ramprakash, Usman Afzaal, Alec Stewart, Alex Tudor, Andy Caddick, Darren Gough, Alan Mullally.

Australia: Adam Gilchrist (captain), Michael Slater, Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Mark Waugh, Simon Katich, Damien Martyn, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie, Glenn McGrath. 12th man: Justin Langer.

Umpires: DR Shepherd & S Venkataraghavan (Ind).

Third umpire: NA Mallender.

Match referee: Talat Ali (Pak).

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more The Ashes stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more The Ashes stories

^^ Back to top