India's first Test in Bangladesh is due to start on 9 December
India have put back their departure to Bangladesh after receiving death threats, apparently from extremists.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India said that the cricketers, who had been due to travel on Tuesday, will not leave for Bangladesh before Wednesday.
The Indian government will send a delegation to Dhaka to ensure the right security measures have been put in place before the visit can go ahead.
India are due to play two Tests and three one-day matches this month.
"A security team will arrive in Dhaka today (Monday)," said Neeta Bhushan, first secretary of the Indian High Commission in Dhaka.
"They will take their time so it may be a few days before a decision is made,"
A letter containing the threats, purported to be sent by little-known radical organisation Harkat-ul-Jihad, arrived at the Indian embassy last Thursday.
The letter, handwritten in poor English, said: "We are happy that India is coming to Bangladesh. We are ready to kill them. Hindus killed 2,000 Muslims in Gujarat in 2002. We will take revenge."
However, Anwar-ul-Haq, of the Bangladesh high commission, told the BBC that the threats were hoax.
And the Bangladesh Cricket Board has insisted the tour will go ahead.
"The tour is on," Reazuddin Al Mamun, a BCB official, said on Sunday. "Everything is OK. There will be adequate security."
Nurus Safa Chowdhury, director of the foreign ministry's external publicity wing, said: "We have been informed about the threat and we have assured them to provide highest possible security to the visiting cricketers."
Indian cricketers have visited Bangladesh several times.
The last time they played in Bangladesh was in 2003 in a triangular tournament that also involved South Africa.