BBC Sport cricket

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 07:56 GMT, Friday, 12 June 2009 08:56 UK

Aussies rescind Symonds' contract

Andrew Symonds
Symonds is thinking over his future after arriving home last week

Australia have withdrawn a central contract offer to Andrew Symonds after he was sent home from the Twenty20 World Cup for disciplinary reasons.

The 34-year-old has been been replaced in the list of contracted players for 2009-10 by fast bowler Shaun Tait.

Cricket Australia operations manager Michael Brown said: "We've given him our full support if he chooses to play state cricket.

"Hopefully, he's not lost to the Australian game."

Symonds was sent home two days before Australia began its brief Twenty20 World Cup campaign which ended at the group stage following losses to West Indies and Sri Lanka.

Reports said Symonds went to a bar, without telling team management, to celebrate Queensland's win in the rugby league State-of-Origin series opener.

It was the latest in a series of disciplinary incidents involving Symonds over the past few months.

Last September, he was ordered to undergo counseling after being expelled from the squad for going fishing instead of attending a team meeting ahead of a limited-overs series against Bangladesh.

606: DEBATE
U2569234

Two months later, he had to issue an apology after he went out drinking with members of the Australian rugby league side and was involved in an incident at a Brisbane hotel, although he was later cleared of any wrongdoing.

In January this year he was fined by Cricket Australia for a remark he made about New Zealand's Brendon McCullum during a radio interview.

Symonds is currently thinking over his future but has asked his state side, Queensland, not to include him in their list of contracted players for the next domestic season.

"Andrew has been up front with us and made a very selfless gesture by advising us not to contract him.

"He knows the door is open here and we look forward to catching up with him when he's ready to have chat about what his plans might be," said Queensland chief executive Graham Dixon.

"As we have said all along, our main concern is for Andrew Symonds the person. Cricket issues should take a back seat and we will let Andrew have the time and space to work out what he wants to do with his life from here."

Brown, meanwhile, said he hoped Symonds would not turn his back on Australian cricket.

"He's a world-class player and if Andrew would like to play, Australian cricket would like to see him back playing for Queensland," he added.

Symonds does still have another year left on a lucrative contract with the Indian Premier League, having recently helped Deccan Chargers win the IPL title.



Print Sponsor


see also
Symonds axed from Australia squad
04 Jun 09 |  Australia
Symonds misses out on Ashes squad
20 May 09 |  Australia
Symonds given Australia contract
14 May 09 |  Australia
Symonds picked for World Twenty20
05 May 09 |  Australia
Flintoff 'ashamed' by Cup antics
19 Mar 07 |  England
Symonds fined over radio remarks
29 Jan 09 |  Australia
Symonds returns to Australia fold
10 Nov 08 |  Australia
Symonds regrets drinking session
26 Nov 08 |  Australia
Symonds vows to improve behaviour
16 Sep 08 |  Australia
Symonds left to rue fishing trip
30 Aug 08 |  Australia
Symonds counts cost of late night
19 Jun 05 |  Cricket


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.