Nasser Hussain insists England have been "left open to more ridicule" by their inability to implement their leaked bowling plans for Australia.
England skipper Flintoff saw his side lose by an innings and 99 runs
Copies of England's tactics for each Australian batsmen were emailed to ABC Radio and read out on air on Wednesday.
"This country is having a really good giggle," former England captain Hussain wrote in his Daily Mail column.
"It has left England's bowlers open to even more criticism because clearly these plans have not been carried out."
Australia went on to win the match by an innings and 99 runs inside three days to go 4-0 down in the five-match series.
The plans are fine... It is just the implementation of them at the crucial times that has been lacking
The leaked document was read out during a stand of 279 from Matthew Hayden (153) and Andrew Symonds (156) at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Wednesday.
Hussain added: "This quite unbelievable new twist to England's Ashes drama leaves them open to yet more ridicule and embarrassment.
"But the serious point about these plans is that they are also the ones that succeeded in 2005 (when England won the Ashes) give or take the odd variation and fluctuation in form.
"And that is because on that occasion England had four fast bowlers who put those plans into operation 90% of the time.
"Now it is closer to 50% or 60%. In Australia, against this superb side, you have to put the ball exactly where you are planning to at least five balls out of every six, not two out of six.
"The plans are fine... It is just the implementation of them at the crucial times that has been lacking.
There was an incident that happened in Brisbane - I'll leave it at that
England coach Duncan Fletcher
"England were excellent yesterday (Wednesday) morning but when the window was open again they couldn't force home their advantage ... They just can't sustain the pressure for long enough."
An investigation into how the plans reached the public domain was launched by the Melbourne Cricket Club in conjunction with the International Cricket Council, England and Wales Cricket Board and Cricket Australia, but proved fruitless.
Copies of the plans were pinned up in the England dressing room and England coach Duncan Fletcher told BBC Radio Five Live: "We're concerned that our confidence and security has been breached.
"We took every precaution that we could. They (copies of the plan) were put up on the (dressing room) board every morning and taken down every night.
All parties agreed that there is no evidence of any breach of security in the player dressing room area
Melbourne Cricket Club statement
"We know that two of those copies were together and we say 'how does one copy detach itself from the other copy and end up on the floor'."
Fletcher also claimed that England had been on their guard following an incident during the first Test in Brisbane but refused to elaborate on what had happened on that occasion.
"There was an incident that happened in Brisbane," he said. "I'll leave it at that."
The Melbourne Cricket Club said in a statement: "Following the investigation, all parties agreed that there is no evidence of any breach of security in the player dressing room area in the Ponsford Stand.
"An England team official printed several copies of an internal document on day one of the test match from an MCC administrative office and, to the best of our knowledge, all printed copies were handed to that official.
"One of these copies was found by a patron in the Members Reserve and distributed to media outlets on day two. The MCC believe that there was no breach of security involved in the printing of these documents.
"As far as the MCC is concerned, the matter is closed and there will be no further comment."