Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Friday, 12 August 2005, 17:21 GMT 18:21 UK
England leave Australia reeling
Third Ashes Test, Old Trafford, day two (stumps): England 444 v Australia 210-7

Ashley Giles
Simon Jones and Ashley Giles took three wickets apiece as Australia closed in deep trouble 234 runs behind England.

The home side took four quick wickets after tea before Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne shared 53, but Australia ended the day on a precarious 210-7.

Gilchrist was dropped twice but Jones ousted him and then Michael Clarke.

Earlier Andrew Flintoff (46) and Geraint Jones shared 87 as England made 444, with Shane Warne taking 4-99 as the last four fell for 11.

Ian Bell's stunning reflex catch at short leg to dismiss Justin Langer gave the home side a much needed fillip, after Australia had seized the initiative by wrapping up the England innings and passing fifty without loss in reply.

Matthew Hayden was fortunate to escape on two occasions.

The first came in the second over, Matthew Hoggard's second delivery swinging back into the left-hander and trapping him in front, but umpire Billy Bowden decided the ball would have missed leg stump.

Then on 14 Hayden offered a sharp return catch to Hoggard's right, and the seamer, moving in the opposite direction in his follow through, could not quite cling on one-handed low to his right.

After that impressive opening over Hoggard was hit for consecutive boundaries by the dogged Langer, who looked in little difficulty until he tried to force Giles away in his opening over, the 16th of the innings.

England then began the final session in style, Simon Jones racing in with the first ball and unsettling Ricky Ponting with a brutal lifting delivery that caught the shoulder of the bat and looped gently to Bell at backward point.

Flintoff shaped several deliveries away from Katich with prodigious reverse swing, but moved one back in to the left-hander first ball after a drinks break.

Katich shouldered arms, only to see his off-stump cartwheel out of the ground.

Then Giles produced a stunning delivery that pitched outside Damien Martyn's leg stump, beat his forward defensive shot and knocked back the off pole.

Gilchrist, who overtook Alec Stewart to become the highest-scoring Test wicket-keeper batsman, offered two sharp chances early in his innings.

He was on 12 when Bell failed to cling on high to his right in the gully and one run later Kevin Pietersen spilled a low one to his right in the covers.

Simon Jones
Jones celebrates as dangerman Gilchrist edges him to the keeper

Continuing an attacking intent in partnership with Warne, Gilchrist struck four boundaries but the hostile Jones was brought back into the attack and found the edge with the first ball of his new spell.

That brought in Clarke, who had been recuperating at the team hotel since damaging his back early on the opening day.

Clarke batted with Hayden as his runner and seemed set to provide a positive foil for the combative Warne.

But Jones deceived him with a slower ball that he skewed to the safe hands of Flintoff at mid-off.

That left Warne, who brought up the 200 with a six off Giles over long-on, to hold firm with a defiant unbeaten 44, but his team will require another 35 on Saturday to avoid the follow-on.

On yet another captivating day, the first session started in Australia's favour, moved quickly England's way but then favoured the tourists again.

England resumed on 341-5 and lost Bell hooking a short one, having failed to add to his overnight 59.

Replays showed little evidence of a touch of either bat or glove, but umpire Bucknor gave him out after a brief consultation with square-leg partner Bowden.

Brett Lee struggled with his footmarks in the sawdust after a 20-minute rain delay and was cut superbly by Jones to bring up the 400.

Warne too was unusually errant initially, and Flintoff swept him away savagely for a one-bounce four.

Four short of his third successive fifty, Flintoff attempted to launch Warne out of the ground but sliced it and found Langer, who did not have to move on the long-on fence.

Perhaps conscious of a lack of remaining batsmen, Jones lost his off-stump as Jason Gillespie captured a badly needed wicket, which signalled the end of a session that evened out noticeably in the final stages.

Australia's resurgence was further evidenced when Warne returned after lunch to dismiss Giles and Simon Jones for ducks.

Giles prodded hesitantly to slip and Jones was bowled attempting a wild swipe to one that spun back in sharply, but this fascinatingly fluctuating series was soon to swing again.

Interview: England spinner Ashley Giles

Interview: Australia coach John Buchanan

Interview: England's Simon Jones


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport