Hoggard took 46 wickets in the County Championship last season
Leicestershire have offered former England seam bowler Matthew Hoggard a three-year deal at Grace Road.
Hoggard, who was released by Yorkshire at the end of the season, held talks with Leicestershire coach Tim Boon and chief executive David Smith on Monday.
"I think a strong figurehead in our dressing room would go down well," Boon told BBC Radio Leicester.
"He's tough, he's strong, he makes good decisions, and he isn't afraid to say how he sees things."
Boon added: "But we are just one of many counties trying to acquire Matthew's services. There is a lot of interest in him."
Hoggard was Yorkshire's leading wicket-taker in the County Championship last term.
He spent 15 seasons with his home county, but was told he would not be offered a new deal at Headingley earlier this month.
Worcestershire have expressed an interest in signing Hoggard but Kent have ruled themselves out of the running.
The County Championship Division Two champions had been in contact with Hoggard about a possible move.
But head coach Paul Farbrace told the Kent Messenger: "We didn't go too far down that road in the end, but we have been talking to a few players already about next season and are weighing up our options."
Leicestershire coach Boon believes the Foxes will not be kept waiting long for an answer to their offer from Hoggard.
He added: "He goes out to South Africa by the end of November and is keen to make a decision about where he will play his cricket before he goes."
Hoggard has also been linked with both Essex and Middlesex. Unlike Leicestershire, they have the advantage of being able to offer first division cricket.