Cuba have been blocked from playing in their first ever international cricket tournament because of a US embargo.
Guyana won the inaugural Stanford 20/20 crown
Cuba had been invited to take part in the Stanford 20/20 tournament, which features 20 Caribbean teams.
But the competition is backed by US businessman Allen Stanford, who by law must ask permission to engage in commercial activity with Cuba.
Texan billionaire Stanford said on Tuesday that his application had been denied by the US government.
"We have been anxious to include the entire Caribbean in the Stanford 20/20 Cricket Tournament and I am extremely disappointed that Cuba will not be able to play," he said in a statement.
"Stanford 20/20 is requesting that the denial from the United States Government be reconsidered and we are exploring every option to secure their future participation."
The tournament's second season will take place from 26 January to 24 February, with all games at the Stanford Cricket Ground in Antigua.
St Lucia will face the Cayman Islands in the opening match, with Guyana beginning the defence of their crown on 10 February.