BBC Sport boxing

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 07:45 GMT, Thursday, 7 January 2010

Mediator fails to resolve Mayweather-Pacquiao dispute

Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather
Pacquiao and Mayweather have been unable to settle their differences

Manny Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum says the proposed 'super-fight' with Floyd Mayweather Jr is off after talks failed to resolve the fighters' differences.

Pacquiao pulled out of the lucrative contest, which was scheduled for 13 March, after Mayweather demanded random drugs tests ahead of the bout.

A mediator was called in to settle the dispute but after two days the pair failed to resolve their differences.

"There is no chance ever of salvaging it for March," said Arum.

"I knew this was going to happen. There's no chance for it ever to happen," added Arum.

The 'super-fight' was likely to have been the richest in boxing history.

With potential purses of up to £25m per fighter acting as a strong incentive, former judge Daniel Weinstein, who had helped resolve previous spats between the pair, was brought in as a mediator.

The duo had previously agreed all points of the contract apart from the drug testing and were said to be close to a deal after the mediation, but subsequent discussions on Wednesday led Pacquiao's promoters Top Rank to declare the fight was cancelled.

BEN DIRS' BLOG

"I've been saying this for years. He's a psychological coward who doesn't want to fight anybody who has a chance of beating him," added Arum.

Mayweather, 32, and Pacquiao were both happy to take unlimited urine tests but Pacquiao will submit to blood testing only on specific dates.

Last week he responded to claims that he had been using performance-enhancing substances by issuing a lawsuit against Mayweather, Mayweather's father and uncle as well as Golden Boy Promotions.

Oscar de la Hoya, founder of Golden Boy, was also mentioned.

Mayweather's team attempted to defuse the situation by issuing a statement last week in which they claimed they had not accused Pacquiao of anything.

Weinstein resolved a dispute three years ago over the promotional rights to Pacquiao, who had signed contracts with Top Rank and Golden Boy, who represent Mayweather.

Under the global settlement, Top Rank retained Pacquiao's promotional rights with Golden Boy receiving a percentage of Top Rank's profit from his future bouts.

Unbeaten Mayweather and five-weight champion Pacquaio - considered to be the best pound-for-pound boxers in the world - were set to meet at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas in the biggest fight since the turn of the century.

Pacquiao, 31, became a five-weight world champion following his WBO welterweight title win over Miguel Cotto in November, while Nevada-based Mayweather returned from a 21-month retirement to beat Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez in September.



see also
Furious Pacquiao sues Mayweather
31 Dec 09 |  Boxing
Mayweather-Pacquiao bout 'is off'
23 Dec 09 |  Boxing
I will beat Pacquiao - Mayweather
10 Dec 09 |  Boxing
Pacquiao set for Mayweather clash
04 Dec 09 |  Boxing
Cotto v Pacquiao photos
15 Nov 09 |  Boxing
Pacquiao claims stunning victory
15 Nov 09 |  Boxing
Pacquiao is 'too quick' for Cotto
11 Sep 09 |  Boxing
Classy Mayweather pummels Marquez
20 Sep 09 |  Boxing
Mayweather to make boxing return
02 May 09 |  Boxing
Hatton floored by brutal Pacquiao
03 May 09 |  Boxing
Pacquiao claims lightweight title
29 Jun 08 |  Boxing


related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.