BBC Sport boxing

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 17:19 GMT, Wednesday, 1 April 2009 18:19 UK

Mathews fighting for his career

Derry Mathews
Mathews believes he can make his way back to the top of the sport

Liverpool super-featherweight Derry Mathews insists he is capable of rebuilding his career and reputation.

Mathews, 25, a former WBU featherweight world champion, suffered his third stoppage defeat in four fights, at the hands of Harry Ramogoadi, on Saturday.

He told BBC Radio Merseyside: "I'm not getting hurt. If I was I'd say 'listen, it's time to call it a day'.

"I'm only 25 and I still believe in myself and I want to prove that I can still do it."

It has been a turbulent 12 months for Mathews, who won the Boxing Writers' Club Young Boxer of the Year in 2007.

In April 2008 he lost his WBU title to Choi Tseveenpurev, with the Mongolian knocking him out in the fifth round of their fight.

Mathews then bounced back with a points win against Kenyan John Gicharu in Liverpool.

Mathews went on to sign a three-year contract with David Haye's Hayemaker Promotions.

His first fight for Hayemaker saw him matched against Martin Lindsay in a British featherweight title eliminator.

Mathews looked to be winning that fight comfortably before Lindsay knocked him out with a stunning ninth-round left-hook.

Following the Lindsay defeat Mathews took the decision to move up in weight from featherweight to super-featherweight.

Mathews says he has no arguments with the Tseveenpurev and Lindsay defeats but is frustrated with how his night ended against Ramogoadi in Liverpool.

Maybe I can have another crack and if I do get beat again I'll have to call it a dayuote here

Derry Mathews

"I still can't get over what happened in the ring," he said.

"I'm a seasoned professional and there is no way in the world the fight should have been stopped. The referee didn't even ask me to walk to him."

Referee Michael Alexander stopped the contest after Ramogoadi knocked Mathews down in the fourth round.

Mathews took to one knee to take a count of eight and catch his breath. He then appeared to rise slowly after the referee had reached eight and Alexander called the fight off.

"I'm sickened by it but it's how I bounce back," said Mathews.

"Maybe I can have another crack and if I do get beaten again I'll have to call it a day."