BBC Sport boxing

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 12:10 GMT, Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Froch to launch final Taylor bid

By Nabil Hassan

Froch, 31, has won all 24 of his professional fights
Froch has won all 24 of his fights

Carl Froch's promoter Mick Hennessy will make one last attempt to secure a fight with American Jermain Taylor.

Nottingham super-middleweight Froch had hoped to make the first defence of his WBC title against mandatory challenger Taylor in April.

Hennessy Sports have already had one bid of Ģ1m to land Taylor turned down but plan to return with a final offer.

"The fight is not dead in the water," said a Hennessy Sports spokesman. "We hope to have news later in the week."

Froch, nicknamed 'The Cobra', won the WBC title in a classic encounter at the Nottingham Arena in December 2008.

The 31-year-old defeated Canadian Jean Pascal on points to take his unbeaten record to 24-0.

Taylor beat fellow American Jeff Lacy in a WBC eliminator in November 2008 to become the next mandatory challenger.

WBC RANKINGS
1: Jermain Taylor (US)
2: Andre Dirrell (US)
3: Andre Ward (US)
4: Marcus Johnson (US)
5: Jean Pascal (Haiti/Canada)
6: Sakio Bika (Cameroon)
7: Anthony Mundine (Australia)
8: Alejandro Berrio (Colombia)
9: Robert Stieglitz (Germany
10: Fulgencio Zuņiga (Colombia)

Froch had therefore expected to meet Taylor in April, but negotiations between Hennessy and Lou DiBella have so far proved to be fruitless.

Froch's camp believe Taylor is dodging the fight and are looking for a way out.

"Taylor calls himself 'Bad Intentions' but if you ask me it should be 'No Intentions' because I don't think he has any intentions of fighting me," Froch told the Nottingham Post.

Hennessy added: "I believe Lou DiBella and Taylor are trying to walk away from this fight and look for the exit door.

"I've made a formal Ģ1m offer to Taylor's promoter Lou DiBella for him to fight Carl Froch in the UK in April.

"Carl has no fear of Taylor, and we would fight them in the States, but given the offers being made, purse bids seemed the best way of sorting it out."

But the WBC last week postponed purse bids citing "unforeseen circumstances" - leaving the clash in further doubt.

606: DEBATE
herby08
DiBella has claimed that they are unwilling to meet Taylor as he is not a big enough name in America, meaning their national television broadcaster HBO would be unlikely to screen the fight and it would be financially unrewarding.

And it has emerged that Taylor, a former undisputed middleweight champion who has beaten Bernard Hopkins twice, is now likely to fight stable-mate Allan Green on 28 March.

If Taylor steps down as mandatory challenger, Froch will then have a voluntary defence against any of the top WBC'S top 10 ranked boxers.

Twelfth-ranked Mads Larsen, a 35-year-old Danish fighter with a 51-2 win/loss record could also be offered to Froch.

And a unification fight with WBA champion Mikkel Kesler later in the year is also a possibility and Froch has also previously stated his desire to meet IBF champion Lucian Bute.

see also
Victorious Froch wants Calzaghe
07 Dec 08 |  Boxing
Taylor beats Lacy in eliminator
16 Nov 08 |  Boxing
Big time beckons for Froch
02 Dec 08 |  Boxing
Froch keen on Calzaghe & Taylor
04 Dec 08 |  Boxing


related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.