Wayne McCullough's comeback bout on Saturday has been called off because his opponent Kiko Martinez was one and three-quarter pounds over the weight.
McCullough had a dispute with a journalist at the weigh-in
There was chaos at Belfast's King's Hall as the European super-bantamweight champion Martinez failed to make the agreed 8st 12lb mark.
The Spaniard had an hour to go away and work off the excess, but he did not return to the scales.
The promoted later scrapped the rest of the bill.
The British Boxing Board of Control Northern Ireland area council secretary, John Campbell, said: "The fight is now not on. The scales were closed at 1430 GMT."
McCullough, who has not fought for two-and-a-half years, had been hoping that a surprise win over Martinez would earn him a world title shot in 2008.
The European Boxing Union refused to sanction the 10-round bout against Martinez as a title fight because of his inactivity.
McCullough said he was "disgusted" by Martinez's refusal to do anything about coming in one and three-quarter pounds over the agreed weight.
"I couldn't believe it. He comes in over the weight and then after being asked to take it off he just sits there and does nothing," said McCullough.
"I just can't believe what has happened. I was ready fight and ready to win and he comes in that much over the weight."
Martinez's camp offered McCullough the option of fighting a catchweight contest to rescue the bill but the former world champion refused to agree to this suggestion.