Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
---------------
CHOOSE A SPORT
RELATED BBC SITES
Last Updated: Monday, 16 April 2007, 10:47 GMT 11:47 UK
Taylor wants $10m from Calzaghe
Jermain Taylor
Taylor is the sort of big name American Calzaghe craves
Jermain Taylor says Joe Calzaghe will need to more than double his purse offer to arrange a fight.

Promoter Frank Warren has offered the middleweight king $4m for a shot at Calzaghe's WBO super middleweight title in the UK in September.

"If Joe and Frank want me that much, make me an offer for $10m and I will show up and bring him a gift to his front door," Taylor told BBC Sport.

Taylor defends his WBC and WBO titles against Cory Spinks on 19 May.

The 28-year-old Little Rock man, who holds a record of 26-0-1 (17 KOs), is refusing to contemplate a Calzaghe bout before then.

Joe only wants to fight the best man out there and that is Jermain

Frank Warren

But he says that if the money was right he would move up to super middleweight, and he would not have a problem with fighting in the UK.

"No atmosphere is intimidating because once you start fighting your focus is on the man in front of you," said Taylor in a question and answer session for the BBC Sport website.

Calzaghe, 35, made the 20th defence of the title he has held for 10 years against Peter Manfredo Jr on 7 April in front of 35,000 fans at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

He hoped to be in action again on 21 July, but a broken hand suffered against Manfredo and the lack of a suitable opponent looks likely to delay that until later in the year.

"Joe only wants to fight the best man out there and that is Jermain," said Warren last week, after offering Taylor an American referee for a potential bout.

"I know Jermain wants to fight only the biggest fights and make the most money.

"To do that we need to hold the fight over here where we can build on the record attendance Joe established against Manfredo."

Joe Calzaghe
Calzaghe says he should be over a broken hand by July

Bernard Hopkins and WBC and WBA super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler are unavailable in July, though the latter's camp have said that they would be willing to fight Calzaghe in the UK in September.

Unbeaten British and Commonwealth super middleweight champion Carl Froch also says he is keen to take on the Welshman.

But the Nottingham fighter is little-known to the US TV audience and Warren claims that he has refused large purse offers for a bout.

Roy Jones Jr says he is ready to meet Calzaghe anytime, anywhere, but previous negotiations between the former four-weight title holder and Warren have collapsed over money.

That could leave WBO mandatory challenger Denis Inkin as a potential opponent.

The German-based Russian, 29, holds a record of 30-0 (23 KOs) including wins over Calzaghe-victims Branko Sobot and Mario Veit, but he is an unknown in the UK and USA.

SEE ALSO
Q&A with Jermain Taylor
16 Apr 07 |  Boxing
Calzaghe confirms hand fracture
10 Apr 07 |  Boxing
The Calzaghe Record
05 Mar 06 |  Boxing
BBC Wales Sport coverage
31 Oct 05 |  Wales


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us