Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
---------------
CHOOSE A SPORT
RELATED BBC SITES
Last Updated: Saturday, 14 April 2007, 10:01 GMT 11:01 UK
Jones keen to fill Calzaghe void
Roy Jones Jr (right)
Jones Jr was once seen as the world's best pound-for-pound
Former four-weight world champion Roy Jones Jr says he is ready to end Joe Calzaghe's search for a big-name opponent for a July bout.

"I've got July wide open and I'd fight at 168lbs in the UK or the USA," Jones, 38, told BBC Sport Wales.

Calzaghe had been keen to fill a 21 July TV slot, but the big names were unavailable and he has now targeted Jermain Taylor in September instead.

But, if that does not come off, Jones would be keen to meet the Welshman.

Joe is a class fighter who needs someone similar - someone like me - to take him on

Roy Jones

"It's the right time in both of our careers to give the British people a true fight," said the Florida man. "I've still got all the skills and I'm hungrier than ever before.

"Peter Manfredo Jr was way out of his league when he lost to Joe last week. Joe is a class fighter who needs someone similar - someone like me - to take him on.

"It would make most sense for him to come to the US. The British people will watch him whatever time of night he fights, and by fighting in America he will only add on the extra numbers of US fans.

"But I'm the challenger now and I have to go and get the title wherever it is on offer.

I wasn't happy that the Welsh supporters booed the US national anthem

Roy Jones

"I could see that there was a beautiful atmosphere at [Cardiff's] Millennium Stadium for the Manfredo fight, that's the sort of support needed to make a great fighter like Joe.

"I wasn't happy that the supporters booed the US national anthem, but I'm not the president so I don't know what that was about.

"I would love to go there and face 35,000 screaming Welshmen, I'm an entertainer and that's what I do.

"The promoters might get in the way of the fight, but there's no reason we can't come to an agreement.

"If we can't agree terms, I say give 60% to the winner and 40% to the loser. That's fair, so let's go."

Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren tried to arrange a showdown between the long-reigning WBO super middleweight champion and Jones for last summer, but the deal fell apart over money disputes.

SEE ALSO
Calzaghe confirms hand fracture
10 Apr 07 |  Boxing
The Calzaghe Record
05 Mar 06 |  Boxing
BBC Wales Sport coverage
31 Oct 05 |  Wales


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us