Joe Calzaghe's rescheduled fight with IBF light heavyweight champion Glen Johnson could still go ahead despite looking unlikely earlier this week.
The Welshman was meant to make his debut at the weight this Saturday but withdrew because of a back injury.
The bout had been rescheduled for 24 July in Cardiff, but Johnson said he was "not interested" in fighting.
But the American's promoter, Dan Goosen, told BBC Wales that the two camps are still in negotiations.
Goosen revealed that after meeting with Calzaghe's promoter, Frank Warren, there is still a strong possibility that the fight will be resurrected.
"Frank and I have had honourable discussions and eventually Frank and I will try to get this back into place," Goosen said.
Antonio Tarver's shock victory over Roy Jones last month opened up the light heavyweight division and Johnson is still keen to fight either.
But Goosen says that Calzaghe still remains a preferred opponent, especially after the Welshman's riposte to Johnson's comments questioning the validity of Calzaghe's injury.
"What's angered me even more is that I've had to take a pay cut to get him to come to Wales," Calzaghe had said after hearing that Johnson wanted to ditch the rescheduled fight.
"Instead of insulting me he should be puckering up and kissing my hand and thanking me at every opportunity."
According to Goosen, the comments stung Johnson enough so that the 35-year-old Miami resident is considering honouring the Cardiff date.
"It could light a fire for Glen to go out there and show the people in England that he is as great as he says he is," Goosen added.
"Frank and I are working towards that and whether or not that comes into an agreement to reschedule it should be determined within the next 24 hours, one way or another."
If the bout does go ahead, the ill-feeling between the two fighters could make for an explosive contest - especially if Jonhson's camp continues to refer to Wales as 'England'.