Algeria's Djabir Said-Guerni ran down Russia's Yuriy Borzakovskiy in the final couple of strides to win the men's 800m title in Paris.
Borzakovskiy took over the lead from world record holder Wilson Kipketer at the end of the back straight but he could not get rid of Said-Guerni.
As they entered the final straight the Algerian trailed by a metre and he gradually closed on Borzakovskiy, who began to tie up 20 metres from the line.
The Russian led until two metres from the finish but lost his form and Said-Guerni passed him as they hit the line.
South Africa's Mbulaeni Mulaudzi was a fast-closing third with Kipketer in fourth.
1. Djabir Sad-Guerni (Alg) 1min 44.81secs
2. Yuriy Borzakovskiy (Rus) 1:44.84
3. Mbulaeni Mulaudzi (Rsa) 1:44.90
4. Wilson Kipketer (Den) 1:45.23
5. Andrea Longo (Ita) 1:45.43
6. Justus Koech (Ken) 1:45.63
7. Hezekil Sepeng (Rsa) 1:45.74
8. Osmar Barbosa dos Santos (Bra) 1:46.28