Yipsi Moreno produced a series of huge throws to successfully defend her hammer title at the World Championships in Paris.
The 22-year-old from Cuba launched the 4-kilogram hammer 73.33m at her second attempt to take the gold medal.
European champion Olga Kuzenkova could not improve on her second place in Edmonton two years ago and picked up silver again with 71.71m.
The French crowd urged on home hope Manuela Montebrun and her fourth round effort of 70.92m was good enough to take bronze.
Reigning Olympic champion Kamila Skolimowska struggled to find her form and finished down in eighth place.
Britain's Lorraine Shaw launched the hammer 65.95m to finish the competition in 10th spot.
1. Yipsi Moreno (Cub) 73.33m
2. Olga Kuzenkova (Rus) 71.71
3. Manuela Montebrun (Fra) 70.92
4. Yuan Gu (Chn) 70.77
5. Susanne Keil (Ger) 69.43
6. Mihaela Melinte (Rom) 68.69
7. Anna Mahon (USA) 68.45
8. Kamila Skolimowska (Pol) 68.39
9. Candice Scott (Tri) 67.73
10. Lorraine Shaw (Gbr) 65.95
11. Betty Heidler (Ger) 65.81
12. Melissa Price (USA) 62.34