Russia's Svetlana Krivelyova won
the women's shot put title at the sixth time of asking at the
The Russian, who won the Olympic title in 1992, threw a season's best of 20.63 metres in the fourth round to take the gold medal.
Belarussia's Nadezhda Ostapchuk, 22, also produced some mighty throws and threw a lifetime best of 20.12m to claim silver.
Vita Pavlysh of the Ukraine was the third athlete to throw over the 20m-mark and took bronze with her best effort of 20.08m
Krivelyova's gold completes her collection of world medals after a silver in 1993 and bronzes in 1991 and 1999.
Women's shot put results:
1. Svetlana Krivelyova (Rus) 20.63
2. Nadezhda Ostapchuk (Blr) 20.12
3. Vita Pavlysh (Ukr) 20.08
4. Irina Korzhanenko (Rus) 19.17
5. Valerie Adams (Nzl) 18.65
6. Krystyna Zabawska (Pol) 18.62
7. Nadine Kleinert (Ger) 18.48
8. Assunta Legnante (Ita) 18.28
9. Elisngela Adriano (Bra) 18.11
10. Lieja Tunks (Ned) 17.99
11. Meiju Li (Chn) 17.92
12. Irni Terzglou (Gre) 17.88