Last Updated: Sunday, 17 April, 2005, 11:06 GMT 12:06 UK
Lel springs London Marathon shock
Kenya's Martin Lel beat a high-quality field to win the 25th London Marathon.
Lel clocked two hours seven minutes 26 seconds to finish ahead of world champion Jaouard Gharib of Morocco and South Africa's Hendrik Ramaala.
Britain's Jon Brown produced an excellent performance in sixth, setting a personal best of 2.09.31 just behind Olympic champion Stefano Baldini.
Pre-race favourite Paul Tergat was a disappointing eighth, while 2004 winner Evans Rutto could only manage 10th.
Tergat and Rutto were part of a large leading group for much of the first half of the race.
Rutto was the first to drop off that group and minutes later, Lel put in a dramatic burst of pace.
His rivals had no reponse and the 26-year-old moved comfortably clear to claim victory by 23 seconds.
It was Lel's first major title since he won in New York two years ago.
London Marathon - Men's result:
1. Martin Lel, Kenya, 2 hours, 7 minutes, 26 seconds.
2. Jaouad Gharib, Morocco, 2:07:49.
3. Hendrick Ramaala, South Africa, 2:08:32.
4. Abdelkader El Mouaziz, Morocco, 2:09:03.
5. Stefano Baldini, Italy, 2:09:25.
6. Jon Brown, Britain, 2:09:31.
7. Toshinari Suwa, Japan, 2:10:23.
8. Paul Tergat, Kenya, 2:11:38.
9. Sammy Korir, Kenya, 2:12:36.
10. Evans Rutto, Kenya, 2:12:49.
WATCH AND LISTEN
Highlights: Kenya's Martin Lel wins the men's London Marathon
Highlights: Britain's Jon Brown finishes sixth