Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC SPORT
You are in: You are in: Athletics  
Front Page 
Football 
Cricket 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Tennis 
Golf 
Motorsport 
Boxing 
Athletics 
Statistics 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
Audio/Video 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 8 March, 2001, 23:21 GMT
Hunter quits after drug ban
CJ Hunter
Hunter: Contesting the ban would be 'a waste of time'
Reigning world shot put champion CJ Hunter has announced his retirement from athletics.

The American was suspended for two years after testing positive for the banned substance nandrolone at the Oslo Golden League meeting last summer.

The 32-year-old husband of sprint star Marion Jones - who won Olympic 100m, 200m and 4x400m gold medals at last year's Olympic Games - has always protested his innocence.

But Hunter has informed his governing body, US Track and Field, that he will not contest the charges that were brought against him by the International Amateur Athletic Federation.


(Marion and I) are not concerned about the IOC and the IAAF - It's over and done with as far as we are concerned
CJ Hunter
Hunter pulled out of the Sydney Olympics claiming injury, but it was then revealed that urine samples he provided after the Oslo meeting were well over the permitted level of nandrolone.

Confirming he will retire from competition, Hunter said that it was a decision he had been considering for some time.

USATF has confirmed the thrower is submitting the appropriate form to activate this process.

Also, in accordance with its rules, USATF has imposed on Hunter the mandatory two-year ban from the sport.

While accepting the ban, Hunter vehemently denies knowingly taking any banned substance and maintains that he is the victim of a contaminated supplement.


Because intent is not an element of the charge, USATF neither endorses nor contests Mr Hunter's denial of intent to commit a doping violation
USATF statement
Hunter said that a contaminated iron supplement, which he took for the first time in Rome in June, resulted in his positive test.

Hunter said he had decided not to contest the doping charges brought against him by the IAAF "because if you look at the history of the IAAF and its arbitration, it (his case) is not going to go anywhere.

"They are interested in being right and they will do whatever they have to do to be able to say they were right."

Under IAAF and USATF rules, however, Hunter is responsible for any prohibited substance found within his system regardless of how it got there, and therefore his statement that he did not intend to take a prohibited substance is no defence to failing a doping test.

A USATF statement said: "Because intent is not an element of the charge, USATF neither endorses nor contests Mr Hunter's denial of intent to commit a doping violation."

See also:

10 Feb 01 |  Athletics
IAAF awaits US action on Hunter
08 Feb 01 |  Athletics
IAAF may ban Hunter
27 Sep 00 |  Olympics2000
US faces criticism from IOC
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Athletics stories are at the foot of the page.

 

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Athletics stories

^^ Back to top