BBC Home
Explore the BBC
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Wednesday, 8 August 2007, 16:27 GMT 17:27 UK
Murray return comes to early end
Andy Murray
Murray appeared to be struggling with his forehand against Fognini
Andy Murray's comeback from injury came to a grinding halt with a 6-2 6-2 defeat to Italian Fabio Fognini in the second round of the Montreal Masters.

The qualifier broke Murray twice to take the first set as the Scot, back after three months out with a wrist injury, struggled to find his rhythm.

A rampant Fognini raced to a 4-1 lead, this time Murray rescued a break but Fognini broke again to seal the match.

The Italian's reward is a meeting with top seed Roger Federer.

The Swiss world number one, playing his first match since winning his fifth Wimbledon title, needed two tie-breaks to see off Croatia's Ivo Karlovic 7-6 (7-2) 7-6 (7-3).

Federer's victory was a perfect way to mark his 26th birthday and his celebrations became public when a boy brought on a cake after the match while the fans burst into a chorus of "Happy Birthday".

I went out there to see what I could and couldn't do, but I'm not 100% ready yet

Andy Murray

Murray missed out on a meeting with Federer and admitted he was tired after playing back-to-back matches.

"My wrist wasn't worse it was just the rest of my body that was stiff and sore," said Murray, 20.

"That was what I was expecting, it's normal to feel like that because playing matches is so much more intense.

"I went out there to try to play and see what I could and couldn't do, but I'm not 100% ready yet."

Fognini was not intimidated by Murray, and showed it by breaking the world number 14 in the opening game of the match.

Murray looked as though he was just struggling to get going in the breezy conditions, but Fognini continued to out-play the Scot and broke him again for a 4-1 lead.

kim & rafa fan

Murray's frustration boiled over when he accused the umpire of "not concentrating," but across the net Fognini stayed cool and took the set with his third ace.

The Italian then took control of the second set, breaking twice and snuffing out Murray's own break chances with some brilliant play.

The British number one did break back at 4-2, but the Italian world number 139 broke again and served out to end Murray's run in Canada.

Murray, who is trying to rediscover his form and fitness ahead of this month's US Open, his favourite Grand Slam, had beaten Robby Ginepri in the first round in his comeback match on Tuesday.

  • Andy Roddick looked solid as he wrapped up a swift second-round victory over Frenchman Arnaud Clement 6-3 7-6 (7-5).

    The fifth seed, who is chasing back-to-back titles in Washington and Montreal, came back from 5-3 down in the second set breaker to close out the match.

    Lleyton Hewitt went straight into the third round after his opponent James Blake withdrew with an abdominal strain.

    "I hope four, five days of ice and rest will do for me and I'll be okay for Cincinnati (next week)," the American said.

    Australian Hewitt will now play Slovakian Dominik Hrbaty, who upset seventh seed Tommy Robredo of Spain 6-2 6-4.

    Murray eases to win on comeback
    07 Aug 07 |  Tennis
    The Murray machine
    07 Aug 07 |  Tennis
    Andy Murray back in training
    18 Jul 07 |  Tennis


    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
    Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

    Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us