BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 5 December, 2004, 09:13 GMT
Tackling Skills with BBC Sport - Everton v Bolton
Everton's Duncan Ferguson celebrates
BBC Sport has teamed up with the Foyer Federation to bring you the best sports reports from budding young journalists around the country.

Tackling Skills is a project that gives Foyers residents the chance to work with BBC sports journalists to help develop their literacy and communication skills by using sport to inspire, motivate and re-engage them .

Here's a selection of reports from Goodison Park as Everton earn a stunning 3-2 win over Bolton.

Thomas Griffiths

A dramatic game at Goodison where Everton faced Bolton Wanderers beating them 3-2 at home.

Bolton took the lead 16 minutes into the match with a good goal from Kevin Davies who then got booked 22 minutes after scoring, Everton then equalised with Duncan Ferguson scoring just on half-time.

In the second half both teams came out on the attack but it was Bolton who again scored first with a goal in the 59th minute from Davies again.

But it wasn't over yet by a long shot. There were cries from the crowd who didn't agree with a lot of the referee's decisions, and Jay Jay Okocha became the second Bolton player to be given a yellow card after a foul on Thomas Gravesen.

Everton boss David Moyes
Everton boss David Moyes shows his delight
A free-kick for Everton on the edge of the box had to be taken twice after the referee decided the Bolton captain had encroached the space, Gravesen then scored a storming goal to take it to 2-2.

Everton substituted Ferguson, Kevin Kilbane and Tim Cahill for James McFadden, Joseph Yobo and Leon Osman while Bolton swapped Okocha and Stelios Giannakopoulos for Kevin Nolan and Les Ferdinand.

But the fresh blood wasn't what clinched the win for Everton it was an own goal from Bolton's Radhi Jaidi in the 85th minute after Leon Osman went for a shot.

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce said he was very annoyed as his side had put in a great performance and scored two great goals. He said the referee had a major effect on the result and he was very disappointed to have scored two goals away from home without a victory when they hadn't won in five games.

Charlie Jade Anson

Everton proudly took three points today at Goodison Park against Bolton Wanderers with a 3-2 victory.

When the whistle went Everton took no messing around, three minutes into the match Thomas Gravesen was trying to find his way to the back of the net.

Bolton reacted to this quickly when Bruno N'Gotty passed to Ivan Campo who crossed into the penalty box but the effort was brilliantly saved by Nigel Martyn.

This resulted in a corner for Bolton which ended in a fabulous volley into the back of the net from Kevin Davies in the 16th minute, leaving Everton worried.

Lee Carsley searched for that equalising goal but Bolton defended well, nearly giving them the edge at half-time.

Instead they received a booking for Davies, the three minutes stoppage time gave Duncan Ferguson the opportunity to take it to the break at 1-1.

In the second half Everton came back strongly when Marcus Bent just missed a superb attempt to put the ball into the bottom left-hand corner.

Bolton's Gary Speed confronts referee Howard Webb
Bolton's Gary Speed confronts referee Howard Webb
Bolton picked up the pace in the 58th minute when Nicky Hunt crossed the ball to Davies who headed it straight past the Everton goalkeeper.

Bolton were feeling greedy so Ivan Campo tried for a third which wandered a fair distance away from the goal.

There was then a substitution for Everton when Tim Cahill and Kevin Kilbane came off, replaced with Joseph Yobo and Leon Osman.

Things quickly heated up when a free-kick was given to Everton just outside the penalty box, this was taken by Gravesen which was blocked by the Bolton wall.

Due to the Bolton captain encroaching the space the referee Howard Webb allowed Everton to retake the free-kick, yet again Gravesen took this but this time put safely into the goal to make it a 2-2 equaliser.

Everton received a corner kick which deflected off Bolton. Everton received another corner kick, Bolton tried to fight back but Osman took a shot that was deflected only to be put in the back of the net by Bolton's Radhi Jaidi.

Everton manager David Moyes explained how he found this the hardest game they have had so far, his hope was cut short when Everton were 2-1 down thinking he could only get a draw so having earned a 3-2 victory the feeling was hard to describe.

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce replied to this saying that he was disappointed not only with the score but also with the referee's decisions. He was also very disappointed to score two goals away from home without a victory.

Anthony Alcock

Everton took three points at home against Bolton with a 3-2 victory.

Goals came from Kevin Davies for Bolton and for Everton Thomas Gravesen and Duncan Ferguson and an own goal by Radhi Jaidi.

Bolton took the lead in the 16th minute through Davies who was all over the pitch, fighting spirit shone through when he was booked for a foul on Everton's David Weir.

Everton came back in to the match with a wonderful Ferguson goal in the dying seconds of the first half.

Both teams returned to the field after their respective manager's encouragement and continued to fight for every ball, tackle and shot on goal.

In the 59th minute Davies scored his second with a slow looping header from a Nicky Hunt cross.

A Kevin Kilbane corner set up Gravesen with a powerful shot on the Bolton goal, however Jussi Jaaskelainen was equal to it and produced the save of the game.

Manager David Moyes took a gamble and made a double substitution bringing on Leon Osman and James McFadden for Tim Cahill and Kevin Kilbane respectively.

A free-kick for Everton on the edge of the penalty area was taken by Gravesen and charged down by the fast approaching Jay Jay Okocha.

Referee Howard Webb made a controversial decision and allowed Gravesen to retake the free-kick, which he slotted into the bottom left-hand corner of the goal, bringing the game back onto an equal footing.

Goal scorer Duncan Ferguson was replaced to wild applause with Joseph Yobo.

This was followed by a last throw of the dice by Bolton manager Sam Allardyce when he brought off captain Okocha and Stelios Giannakopoulos and brought on Les Ferdinand along with Kevin Nolan.

Bolton's Jaidi sealed the three points for Everton with an own goal in the 85th minute of the game.

"The team showed some sense of character," the Everton manager David Moyes said after the match.

"It was the toughest game they have had so far this season, when we were down 2-1, I only thought we would get a draw.

"It's hard to describe how good the feeling is at the minute."

Links to more Tackling Skills stories


Charlton Athletic show the way
10 Sep 04 |  Tackling Skills
Man Utd programme photos
10 Sep 04 |  Photo Galleries

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Other Sport...

Video and Audio | TV/Radio Schedule | Scores & Fixtures | Have Your Say | Photo Galleries

Sport Academy | Health & Fitness | Fun and Games | Question of Sport

Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport