BBC Home
Explore the BBC
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Friday, 7 April 2006, 20:15 GMT 21:15 UK
Dragons 23-17 Munster
Dragons wing Nathan Brew claimed one try and created another
Dragons: (17) 23:
Tries: Forster, Brew, Wyatt.
Cons: Warlow.
Pens: Warlow 2.
Munster: (10) 17:
Tries: Halstead, Pucciariello.
Cons: Manning, Burke.
Pens: Manning.
Att: 5,433
Newport Gwent Dragons pulled off a surprise win over Celtic League title chasers Munster at Rodney Parade.

The Irish Heineken Cup semi-finalists had already beaten the Dragons three times this season, twice in Europe and once in the league at Musgrave Park.

But some fine back play from the Welsh region saw Jason Forster, Nathan Brew and Gareth Wyatt cross for tries.

Munster started with Trevor Halstead's first-minute try, but could only muster one more score from Fred Pucciariello.

The Irish province took little time to breach the Dragons defence, four quick phases from the kick-off allowing Jeremy Manning to send Halstead cantering under the posts.

Manning, filling the boots of injured Ireland fly-half Ronan O'Gara, was clattered in that final move but picked himself up to slot the conversion.

But any suggestion that it would be one-way traffic was soon dispelled.

Hard work by the Welsh forwards opened up a sniff of a gap down the left wing and Gareth Wyatt shot through to give the scoring pass inside to skipper Forster.

Craig Warlow missed the conversion that would have levelled the scores, and Manning stretched Munster's lead soon after with a penalty.

That was Manning's last meaningful contribution as the 20-year-old was knocked out in a tackle and was stretchered off, Paul Burke replacing him.

When the match got underway again the Dragons took the lead, Ceri Sweeney popping an inside ball for Brew to come off his wing and burst under the posts, Warlow converting.

The same move worked again as the half drew to a close, Warlow holding the Munster defence and sending Brew racing through.

The wing flipped the ball to Sweeney, who spun the ball out of a pocket of Munster defenders to send Wyatt over in the right corner for a 17-10 half-time lead.

Munster came out of the dressing room with greater purpose and soon carved out an opportunity for prop Pucciariello to barge over, Burke's conversion levelling the tie.

But Warlow struck two penalties to nose the Dragons back in front and some tough defence, with lock Ian Gough to the fore, kept Munster at bay although the Irish did have the consolation of a losing bonus point.

Newport Gwent Dragons: Aled Thomas; Gareth Wyatt, Hal Luscombe, Ceri Sweeney, Nathan Brew; Craig Warlow, Gareth Baber; Adam Black, Steve Jones, Rhys Thomas, Ian Gough, Luke Charteris, Jamie Ringer, Jason Forster (capt), Michael Owen.
Replacements: Andrew Brown, David Maddocks, Chris Anthony, Peter Sidoli, Rhys Oakley, Jon Bryant, James Ireland.

Munster: S Payne; J Kelly, T O'Leary, T Halstead, I Dowling; J Manning, P Stringer; P Pucciariello; J Flannery, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell; M O'Driscoll, D Wallace, A Foley (capt).
Replacements: F Roche, E McGovern, S Keogh, J O'Sullivan, P Burke, M Mullins, R Henderson.

Referee: Peter Allan (SRFU).



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

BBC Wales Sport coverage
03 May 05 |  Wales
Munster 10-8 Dragons
28 Jan 06 |  Irish


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

ALSO IN THIS SECTION Wales' rugby fixtures
Wales results archive
Rugby World Cup fixtures and results
Heineken Cup

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport