BBC Sport rugbyunion


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 19:38 GMT, Saturday, 4 December 2010

Munster 16-9 Blues

Munster (3) 16
Tries: Quinlan Cons: O'Gara Pens: O'Gara 3
Cardiff Blues (6) 9
Pens: Parks 3

Cardiff Blues' Casey Laulala tries to penetrate the Munster defence at Thomond Park
Cardiff Blues' Casey Laulala tries to penetrate the Munster defence

Paul O'Connell made a winning return from injury as Munster overcame Cardiff at a foggy Thomond Park.

Dan Parks' brace of penalties handed the Blues a 6-3 half-time lead, with his opposite number Ronan O'Gara notching a reply for the home side.

But seven minutes into the second half, Alan Quinlan stretched over for the game's only try.

O'Gara took his place-kicking haul to 11 points as the Magners League leaders returned to winning ways.

A groin problem and subsequent complications had ruled O'Connell out of Munster's plans since March, and his last appearance for the province was in the Heineken Cup in January.

So it was a welcome sight for Tony McGahan to see his captain, who was introduced as a second-half replacement, come through his 25 minutes on the pitch unscathed.

Parks opened the scoring with a terrific 48-metre penalty from close to the left touchline, punishing Lifeimi Mafi for going off his feet at a fourth-minute ruck.

Munster responded with two powerful bursts from hooker Damien Varley, who was held up over the line. The hosts turned down a kickable penalty in favour of a close-in line-out, but Blues lock Michael Paterson stole the throw.

Munster maintained a territorial dominance but could not trouble the scoreboard, with flanker Niall Ronan miscuing a drop goal, Varley guilty of a crooked line-out throw and a couple of passes going astray.

That pattern continued until disciplined defence from Cardiff lifted the siege and there were some nice touches from Casey Laulala and Richie Rees as the visitors gained ground.

On the half-hour mark, half-breaks from wingers Gavin Evans and Richard Mustoe catapulted Cardiff towards the Munster 22, and a lovely one-handed pass from Rees sent Taufa'ao Filise rumbling towards to the posts.

From the ensuing ruck, Munster had Tony Buckley sin-binned for spoiling Cardiff ball and Parks mopped up with the simple penalty.

Munster's attacks were of the long-range variety as the first half came to a close and O'Gara converted a 39th minute penalty, after he had been tackled late by Cardiff replacement Ben White, to leave three points between the sides at the break.

Within 43 seconds of the restart, the Blues were inches away from a try.

Chris Czekaj launched himself down the left wing, Munster gave turnover ball back to the visitors and a diving Tom Shanklin was denied a try in the right corner by Mick O'Driscoll's left leg.

It was the signal for Munster to up their game and, after a terrific leg-pumping run from Sam Tuitupou, play was switched to the left where Quinlan picked up from a close-range ruck and crashed over despite the presence of two Cardiff defenders.

O'Gara converted for a 10-6 lead and then added his second penalty for a seven-point advantage. O'Connell won an immediate line-out after his introduction which unsurprisingly drew the biggest cheer of the night.

Cardiff kept probing and continued to look dangerous with ball in hand. Laulala clattered his way into the Munster 22 and although White was able to get his boot to a cross-field kick from Parks, it dribbled too far ahead of him and Johne Murphy got back to quell the danger.

Parks' third successful penalty closed the gap to 13-9 on the hour, but as the fog closed in Munster's forwards were able to keep things tight and exert more control.

Parks' last sight of the posts was a missed drop goal attempt, seven minutes from the finish, and O'Gara settled the issue with a straightforward 78th minute penalty.

Munster: J Murphy; L Mafi, K Earls, S Tuitipou, D Hurley; R O'Gara, P Stringer; W du Preez, D Varley, T Buckley; M O'Driscoll, D O'Callaghan; A Quinlan, N Ronan, D Leamy (capt).

Replacements: Warwick for Mafi (63), O'Leary for Stringer (49), D Ryan for du Preez (76), Sherry for Varley (71), J Hayes for Buckley (62), O'Connell for O'Callaghan (55), Wallace for Ronan (49). Not used: B Murphy.

Blues: Chris Czekaj; Richard Mustoe, Casey Laulala, Tom Shanklin, Gavin Evans; Dan Parks, Richie Rees; Gethin Jenkins, Gareth Williams, Taufa'ao Filse, Michael Paterson, Paul Tito, Mamma Molitika, Sam Warburton, Xavier Rush.

Replacements: Slater for Rees (69), Hobbs for Filise (77), White for Warburton (33). Not Used: R Williams, T Davies, Griffiths, Sweeney, Hewitt.

Referee: Alain Rolland (IRFU)

Att: 17,000

Print Sponsor

see also
Cardiff Blues 38-6 Glasgow
27 Nov 10 |  Cardiff Blues
Dragons 20-6 Munster
26 Nov 10 |  NG Dragons
BBC Sport Wales coverage
03 Oct 11 |  Wales
RaboDirect Pro12
11 Apr 07 |  Rugby Union
Heineken Cup
11 Apr 07 |  Rugby Union
Anglo-Welsh Cup
11 Apr 07 |  Rugby Union

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.