BBC Sport rugbyunion


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 18:21 GMT, Saturday, 4 April 2009 19:21 UK

Scarlets 21-38 Glasgow

Scarlets (14) 21
Tries: G Evans, D Jones. Cons: S Jones. Pens: S Jones 3.

Edinburgh (26) 38
Tries: T Evans 2, Barclay 2, Low, M Evans. Cons: Gregor 4.

Scarlets back-row Dafydd Jones tussles with Glasgow's Ali Kellock
Scarlets back-row Dafydd Jones tussles with Glasgow's Ali Kellock

Glasgow ran in six tries against a poor Scarlets side on Saturday to jump above them in the Magners League table.

John Barclay was outstanding for the visitors, the flanker claiming two tries in a hearty all-round display.

Wing Thom Evans also helped himself to a brace, with brother Max and prop Moray Low joining in the fun.

Scarlets open-side Dafydd Jones scored the pick of the game's tries, showing a deft side-step, while Gavin Evans also crossed for the struggling home side.

Glasgow took an early grip on the game when Thom Evans finished off a fine break from fellow wing Lome Fa'atau, the Samoan wrong-footing the Scarlets by popping up in midfield.

Fa'atau jinked his way to within sight of the line before passing to Evans, who showed great strength to stay in-field near the corner flag as he twisted in Mark Jones' tackle to touch down.

Colin Gregor added the tricky touchline conversion, although he was wide with an easier attempt just minutes later after Barclay crossed for the first of his two tries.


The Scarlets defensive line was again breached far too easily, with Thom Evans' brother Max handily involved from centre, and big number seven Barclay was in support to dive over.

Scarlets fly-half Stephen Jones got the home side moving with a penalty but Glasgow moved 19-3 ahead as Barclay claimed a quick-fire second.

The Glasgow pack drove their way to the Scarlets line before the ball was shipped smartly left for the open-side to go over from close range, Gregor converting.

Jones again chipped away at the Scarlets' deficit with a second penalty but a fourth Glasgow try arrived just after the half-hour mark to secure a bonus point.

Again it was Barclay at the heart of things, rising to take a line-out and then romping through unmolested to send prop Low over for another seven points.

Scarlets put the ball through the hands and gave Gavin Evans enough space to cut inside Fa'atau and score an unconverted try, despite the efforts of Graeme Morrison.

Jones kicked his third penalty deep in first-half injury time to cut Glasgow's lead to 26-14 at the break, but the Scots hit back immediately after the restart.

Fa'atau spotted the lack of cover to chip in behind the advancing line of red shirts and Max Evans fielded the bouncing ball deftly to go under the posts.

A superb solo effort from Dafydd Jones gave the Welsh hosts some hope, the back-row picking up from the base of a ruck and stepping twice off his right foot to earn seven welcome points.

But normal service was soon resumed as Glasgow counter-attacked from turnover ball and Thom Evans raced away down the left wing for his second try, brushing off a powder-puff tackle from Jon Davies.

Glasgow number eight Kelly Brown was sin-binned in the 64th minute, to eager tackling off the back of a ruck, but the Scots still held the cushion of a 38-21 lead.

Mark Jones should have touched down with nine minutes left to put the Scarlets within a sniff of a losing bonus point, but the Wales wing lost control of the ball as he reached for the line.

Scarlets: Daniel Evans; Mark Jones, Jon Davies, Gavin Evans, Dafydd James; Stephen Jones (capt), Martin Roberts; Iestyn Thomas, Matthew Rees, Deacon Manu, Vernon Cooper, Dominic Day, Josh Turnbull, Dafydd Jones, David Lyons.
Replacements: Phil John for I. Thomas (60), Ken Owens for Rees (60), Lou Reed for Cooper (75), Rob McCusker for D. Jones (66), Gavin Cattle for Roberts (65), Rhys Priestland, Darren Daniel for G. Evans (52).

Glasgow: Colin Gregor; Lome Fa'atau, Max Evans, Graeme Morrison, Thom Evans; Ruaridh Jackson, Mark McMillan; Kevin Tkachuk, Dougie Hall, Moray Low, Tim Barker, Alastair Kellock (capt), James Eddie, John Barclay, Kelly Brown.
Replacements: Fergus Thomson for Hall (69), Ed Kalman, Dan Turner for Barker (41), Calum Forrester for Eddie (57), Dan Parks for Jackson (57), Colin Shaw for Fa'atau (78), Peter Horne.

Att: 6,103

Referee: Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland).

Print Sponsor

see also
BBC Sport Wales coverage
03 Oct 11 |  Wales
RaboDirect Pro12
11 Apr 07 |  Rugby Union
Heineken Cup
11 Apr 07 |  Rugby Union
Anglo-Welsh Cup
11 Apr 07 |  Rugby Union

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.