BBC Home
Explore the BBC
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Friday, 6 April 2007, 19:55 GMT 20:55 UK
Scarlets 53-11 Border Reivers
Llanelli Scarlets centre Gavin Evans breaks through the Borders defence
The Borders had no answer to the Scarlets' pace and power

Scarlets: (26) 53
Tries: MacLeod, Rees (2), James, S Jones, M Jones, B Davies, L Davies, Owens
Cons: S Jones (4)

Borders: (6) 11
Try: Dalziel
Pens: Jones (2)

Llanelli Scarlets scored nine tries in a Magners League romp against Border Reivers at Stradey Park on Friday.

The victory was secured by half-time as tries from Scott MacLeod, Matthew Rees (two) and Dafydd James built a commanding 26-6 lead.

Stephen Jones, Mark Jones, Barry Davies, Liam Davies and Ken Owens added second-half scores for the home side.

Lock John Dalziel crossed for the outclassed Borders, with fly-half Steve Jones kicking two penalties.

The Scarlets came out of the blocks flying and gave early notice of what was to follow, scoring after two-and-a-half minutes of constant pressure.

Lock McLeod bundled his way over between two would-be tacklers after the Borders defence had been stretched across the width of the pitch.

Fly-half Jones made the most of the perfect conditions to add the conversion from wide on the left.

Borders fly-half Jones cut the deficit with a penalty, but the Scarlets' second try soon arrived as hooker Rees finished off a superb multi-phase passage of play.

The third try five minutes later - following a second Jones penalty - was created by a piece of individual brilliance from centre Matthew Watkins.

He side-stepped past the Borders defence and then fed Dafydd James on his inside, giving the winger a clear run in from 30 metres.

The Scarlets enjoyed a fair slice of luck to score their fourth try on 30 minutes as a stray mid-field pass was knocked-on by a Borders hand but fell perfectly for Watkins.

His quick pass found Rees loitering on the left wing and the hooker had little difficulty in fending off Borders winger Douige Flockhart to score his second.

Having converted the first three tries, Jones missed his fourth attempt but the Scarlets were well in command as they went into the half-time break.

The Borders secured almost as much possession in the first 10 minutes of the second half as they managed in the opening 40 minutes, but the Scarlets held firm and then hit the Scots with two tries in four minutes.

Stephen Jones was the first two cross as he broke from the base of a ruck five yards out, and then wing Mark Jones showed his lightening pace as he scored from the half-way line.

Dalziel's try on 62 minutes temporarily stemmed the flow, but normal service was resumed as some more Watkins midfield magic sent full-back Davies over for the Scarlets' seventh try.

The Borders - on their final visit to Wales - put up little resistance in the final 10 minutes, allowing replacements Liam Davies and Owens to take the Scarlets over the 50-point mark for the first time this season.

  • Llanelli Scarlets director of rugby Phil Davies:

  • "I'm delighted. It was a difficult game in certain aspects after the highs of last week's Heineken Cup semi-final win, but the players were excellent.

    "Everybody made a contribution and we scored some tremendous tries. We started with a full complement, with the odd change here and there, but that's what we've been doing all year.

    "We've retained the momentum. We had an unbelievable amount of away fixtures at the start of the season but we always thought we could make a good fist of it in the second half of the season."

    Llanelli Scarlets: B Davies; James, Watkins, G Evans, M. Jones; S. Jones, Peel; John, Rees, J Davies, A Jones, MacLeod, Easterby (capt), Bater, D Jones.
    Replacements: King for G Evans (65), C Thomas for S Jones (65), L Davies for Peel (59), Owens for Rees (56), Manu for J Davies (56), Afeaki for MacLeod (67), Popham for Easterby (54).

    Borders: Moffatt; Flockhart, MacDougall, Rennie, Law; Jones, C Cusiter; Kerr, Ford, Douglas, Dalziel, Palepoi, Newlands, Miller, Brown.
    Replacements: Townsend for MacDougall (69), De Luca for Rennie (45), Chrystie for C Cusiter (60), Scott for Ford (69), Kalman for Douglas (60), Hamilton for Palepoi (60), Vernon for Newlands (45).

    Att: 5,437.

    Referee: Donald Courtney (RU)



    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

    BBC Sport Wales coverage
    01 May 06 |  Wales
    Scarlets 24-15 Munster
    30 Mar 07 |  Rugby Union


    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
    Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

    Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us