BBC Home
Explore the BBC
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Friday, 4 November 2005, 22:12 GMT
Glasgow 30-15 Connacht
Graeme Morrison leads a Glasgow attack
Glasgow (16) 30
Tries: Staniforth, Turner, Gregor
Cons: Gregor (3)
Pen: Gregor (3)
Connacht (3) 15
Tries: Farley, McPhilips
Con: Warwick
Pen: Warwick
Att: 1,518
Glasgow snuffed out the challenge of Connacht at Hughenden on Friday night - but they failed to claim a crucial Celtic League bonus point.

Despite earning the vast bulk of territory Glasgow could only earn three tries, through Graydon Staniforth, Dan Turner and Colin Gregor.

A rousing start helped Glasgow to a 16-3 lead at the break and Connacht's late rally was not enough.

Andy Farley and Conor McPhillips went over for the visitors.

It was no surprise when Glasgow broke the deadlock with an angled penalty by Gregor.

Glasgow kept up the momentum and stretched their advantage with another Gregor strike following a deliberate knock-on.

Connacht then created their first meaningful attack in reply, with Paul Warwick clawing back three points thanks to an accurate 35-metre penalty.

The kick was, however, the cue for the Warriors to storm back up field to manufacture a superb try.

From a scrum, number eight Johnny Beattie scooped up the ball from the base and freed stand-in skipper Graeme Beveridge, whose pass was perfectly delivered for full-back Staniforth to romp in under the crossbar to give Gregor a formality of a conversion.

Gregor completed his first-half treble with a 40-metre thump on the stroke of the interval.

Play became disjointed with both teams trying to over-complicate their approach but it was the Warriors who settled quickest after the break to effectively put the match out of reach.

A well-controlled pack surge enabled lock Turner to reach the target at full-stretch, with Gregor gleefully maintaining his 100% record with the boot as he expanded the lead to 20.

But Connacht were not completely killed off and less than five minutes later they sneaked in for a touchdown from Farley, goaled by Warwick.

Gregor burst back into the limelight to convert his own try under the crossbar in the wake of a breakout from the home 22-area featuring Hefin O'Hare and Shaw.

But back came Connacht with another touchdown from McPhillips.

Glasgow: Staniforth, O'Hare, Morrison, Barrow, Shaw, Gregor, Beveridge, Tckachuk, Lawson, Harrison, Barker, Turner, Dearlove, Barclay, Beattie.
Replacements: Thomson, Corsar, Hayter, Swindall, Pinder, Henderson, McLaughlin.

Connacht: Mostyn, Robinson, Yapp, Matthews, McPhillips, Warwick, Keane, McFarland, Fogerty, Knoop, Short, Farley, Muldoon, O'Connor, Rigney.
Replacements: Merrigan, Gannon, Swift, O'Loughlin, Slemen, Riordan, Loughney.

Referee: Tim Hayes (WRFU)



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

BBC Wales Sport coverage
18 Sep 05 |  Wales
Ulster 36-10 Connacht
07 Oct 05 |  Irish
Ospreys harbour Jones Euro hopes
10 Oct 05 |  European Club


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport