BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 18 September, 2004, 15:17 GMT 16:17 UK
Connacht 13-19 Ulster
Ulster winger Tommy Bowe
Connacht (6) 13:
Try: O'Loughlin.
Warwick 2.
Con: Warwick.
Ulster (8) 19:
Tries: Bowe, Bell.
Cons: Humphreys.
Pens: Humphreys 3.
Ulster got back to winning ways with a hard-earned, but deserved Celtic League victory over Irish rivals Connacht in Galway.

Tries from Tommy Bowe and Jonny Bell and three penalties from David Humphreys saw them succeed at a venue where they have often slipped up.

Connacht had taken the early lead with two Paul Warwick penalties and a late try by Conor O'Loughlin.

Warwick converted the try, but Ulster held out to pick up the points.

Connacht's big pack took hold of the game at the outset and were in the vanguard to set up opportunities for Warwick to knock over a couple of penalties in the opening six minutes.

However, with Humphreys and Kevin Maggs showing a real appetite for work, Ulster started to take control of the game, particular in the set-pieces

Maggs was almost over at the posts and then his centre partner Bell was just caught a yard short of the line.

The game changed in the 26th minute when Connacht centre Matt Mostyn was sin-binned for killing the ball and Humphreys. who was winning his 100th cap, landed Ulster's opening penalty from close-range.

Five minutes later Connacht were down to 13 men when flanker John Muldoon was also handed a yellow card for a similar offence.

With a two-man advantage Ulster took charge up front and a quick transfer from a scrum allowed winger Bowe to skate into the corner for the opening try of the game.

Just before half-time a brilliant covering tackle by Warwick prevented Ulster speedster Andy Maxwell from swooping in at the corner.

Ulster surged further ahead two minutes after the break when Bell dummied his way over for an excellent try.

Ulster went off the boil for a period before Humphreys stretched their lead with his second penalty on the hour. Ten minutes later he again knocked over an easy penalty.

Ulster, however, allowed Connacht to make it a nervous final few minutes when Bell lost possession and replacement scrum-half O'Loughlin out-paced Humphreys to the line.

Warwick converted, but Connacht could not add to their total as Ulster won their second game on the road in the present campaign.

Connacht: D Slemen; T Robinson, M Mostyn, N O'Brien, C McPhillips; P Warwick, T Tierney; A Clarke, B Jackman, P Bracken, C Short, A Farley, J Muldoon, M Lacey, M Carroll.
Replacements: J Fogarty, S Knoop, D McFarland, P Neville, Conor O'Loughlin, Eric Elwood, P Myburgh.

Ulster: B Cunningham; T Bowe; Jonny Bell; K Maggs, A Maxwell; D Humphreys, Neil Doak; S Best, P Shields, R Moore, M Mustchin, M McCullough, A Ward (capt), N Best, R Wilson.
Replacements: N Brady, R McCormack, R Frost, C Feather, K Campbell, P Wallace, P Steinmetz.

Referee: Neil Ballard (WRU).

Reaction: Ulster coach Mark McCall

Report: Jim Neilly saw Ulster win in Galway



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport