BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 13 March, 2004, 16:50 GMT
Connacht 35-24 Leinster
Eric Elwood was in action for Connacht
Connacht: (8) 35
Tries: Yapp, Farley, Lacey 2, O'Sullivan
Cons: Elwood 2.
Pens: McHugh, Elwood
Leinster: (16) 24
Tries: Brown, Kearney.
Cons: Contepomi.
Pens: Contepomi 3, Leek
Att: 3,850
Connacht grabbed four second-half tries as they came from behind to beat Leinster at the Sportsground.

Andrew Farley claimed the last of them late on to round off the bonus point win against their Irish rivals.

Leinster were hampered by second half yellow cards for Christian Warner and Victor Costello and Connacht won the second half 27-8.

Matt Lacey scored a brace and John O'Sullivan and Farley also touched down as the home side cut loose.

Leinster made the ideal start however as Felipe Contepomi hoisted a 25-metre penalty through the Connacht posts in the second minute, after Costello's half break saw the home side infringe in the tackle.

A searing break by centre Gary Brown saw the 23-year-old offload in time for second row Aidan Kearney to go under the Connacht posts to repeat his try in Leinster's last meeting with Connacht.

Connacht full back Mark McHugh thumped a 35-metre penalty over in reply on 11 minutes, but a ruck infringement saw Contepomi stretch Leinster's advantage to 13-3 four minutes later.

Matt Mostyn returned to the Connacht team for the Galway contest
Matt Mostyn was in action for Connacht in Galway

The Parker Pen Cup semi-finalists released their back line to good effect on 26 minutes winger Conor McPhillips broke from his left-sided berth to send recent Ireland call-up Darren Yapp over.

Contepomi's fourth success extended Leinster's lead to 16-8 at the interval.

An Eric Elwood penalty on 54 minutes put five between the sides and with Leinster centre Christian Warner sin-binned, Lacey try in the left corner then levelled the contest.

Brown ended a sweet interchange with Leinster full back James Norton to put the visitors back into a 21-16 lead.

However, Matt Leek's missed conversion and Costello's yellow card for a high tackle saw Lacey get in for a second try on 67 minutes.

O'Sullivan's try effort five minutes from time saw Connacht claim the bonus point win and seventh place, with second row Farley bundled over in injury time.

Connacht: M McHugh, M Mostyn, D Yapp, S Moore, C McPhillips, E Elwood, C O'Loughlin, D McFarland, B Jackman, P Bracken, D Browne, A Farley, M Swift, M Lacey, J O'Sullivan. Replacements: J Fogarty/H Bourke, A Clarke, M Carroll, P Neville/T Carter, M Walls, D Hewitt, W Munn.

Leinster: J Norton, J McWeeney, G Brown, C Warner, B Burke, F Contepomi, B O'Riordan, J Lyne, D Blaney, S Brophy, A Kearney, B Gissing, D Dillon (capt), N Ronan, V Costello. Replacements: J Moran, B Blaney, C Potts, S Crawford, B O'Meara, M Leek, J Downey.

Referee: Nigel Williams (Wales)



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport