BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Friday, 20 February, 2004, 21:21 GMT
Glasgow 27-25 Ulster

Glasgow proved too strong for Ulster
Glasgow (20) 27
Tries: A Bulloch, Lamont, Lawson 
Cons: Howarth 3
Pens:  Howarth 2
Ulster (11) 25
Tries: Best, Young, McCullough
Cons: Wallace 2
Pens: Larkin 2
Glasgow made a mockery of their basement status by outpowering Celtic League pacesetters Ulster in a Hughenden cracker.

Two converted tries in a minute late in the first half courtesy of Sean Lamont and Alan Bulloch turned the game in Glasgow's favour.

Ulster then fought back in the closing stages with Mark McCullough and Scott Young notching tries.

However, Glasgow held on for the win that they just about deserved.

Early on, Celtic Cup winners Ulster gave instant notice of their intentions by breaching the home defence with ease after just two minutes.

But Paul Steinmetz's touchdown was snuffed out by referee Nigel Owens for a marginally forward pass from Adam Larkin.

The visitors kept up the early pressure and broke the deadlock with a Larkin penalty for a tackle offence inside the Glasgow '22.

However the Warriors responded in positive fashion to level the contest with a long-range strike by Calvin Howarth, back in action after a shoulder injury.

The Irish province looked the more controlled outfit as they strung together phases galore.

But with the Glasgow defence more assured, they had to rely on another penalty by Larkin to edge back in front.

Scott Young scored one of Ulster's tries
Scott Young's try came too late for Ulster

The home troops also had to contend with the temporary loss of three players in quick succession, skipper Jon Petrie, centre Graeme Morrison and scrum-half Graeme Beveridge.

Ulster took full advantage by creating the first try, flanker Neil Best being driven over by his pack-mates in the wake of a penalty line-out.

Glasgow mounted a series of promising attacks of their own, featuring darts at the line by Glenn Metcalfe and Scott Lawson, but all they could show for their initial efforts was another Howarth penalty.

The home fans were cheering even louder on the stroke of the interval when wing Lamont oustripped the Ulster defence from fully 60 metres for a wonderful solo score.

Even better was to come a minute later as Alan Bulloch galloped over following great work by Metcalfe and Rory Kerr. Howarth added both goals to complete the quickfire turnaround of fortunes.

Ulster's plight grew deeper as skipper Andy Ward was yellow carded for preventing a quick penalty.

And within a minute Glasgow had grabbed their third try through Lawson in the wake of an expertly executed kick, chase and tackle by Metcalfe. Howarth again slotted the kick.

Matt McCullough went over for Ulster with Paddy Wallace converting to set up a tense finale.

And the jitters set in when Scott Young added another in stoppage time - but Glasgow held on.

Glasgow: Metcalfe, Kerr, Morrison, A. Bulloch, Lamont, Howarth, Beveridge, Murray, Lawson, A. Kelly, Beardshaw, Ross, Dearlove, MacFadyen, Petrie.
Replacements: Gunn, Harrison, Reid, Wilson, Pinder, Gregor, Millard.

Ulster: Cunningham, Topping, Wallace, Steinmetz, S. Young, Larkin, Doak, Kempson, Sexton, Moore, Longwell, McCullough, Ward, N. Best, Wilson.
Replacements: Shields, B. Young, Mustchin, McMillan, Campbell, Stewart, Mallon.

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRFU)



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport