BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 13 August 2005, 12:02 GMT 13:02 UK
Australia 13-30 New Zealand
Australia hooker Jeremy Paul tries to tackle New Zealand wing Joe Rokocoko
Australia 13 (13)
Try: Mitchell
Con: Giteau
Pens: Giteau 2
New Zealand 30 (10)
Tries: Weepu, McCaw, Rokocoko
Cons: Carter 2, McAlister
Pens: Carter 3
New Zealand condemned Australia to a third consecutive defeat with the first away win in the Tri-Nations since 2003.

Australia led 13-0 through two Matt Giteau penalties and a converted try from new full-back Drew Mitchell.

But Piri Weepu's try, and two Daniel Carter penalties, made it 13-10 at half-time before two more Carter penalties edged New Zealand ahead.

Richie McCaw's try with 15 minutes left put the All Blacks in command before Joe Rokocoko's score sealed victory.

New Zealand's win - which ensured they retained the Bledisloe Cup - was the first away from home in the competition since their 50-point rout at the Telstra Stadium two years ago.

Unlike in Cape Town a week ago, the All Blacks recovered from an early 13-0 deficit and might have won by more with sharper finishing.

The Wallabies started well, frustrating the visitors at the breakdown where they earned two penalties which Giteau dispatched for a 6-0 lead inside seven minutes.

Australia full-back Drew Mitchell on his way to scoring the opening try
Drew's performance was the one positive thing out of the match. Otherwise it was disappointing
Australia captain George Gregan on Mitchell
The hosts received another confidence boost when full-back Mitchell, only playing because of injuries to Chris Latham and Mat Rogers, entered the fray.

The youngster's first touch saw him confidently collect Aaron Mauger's kick ahead and spin out of two tackles to put Australia in sight of the line.

His next saw him take the ball at first receiver, stand up Carter and surge away from Mauger and Mils Muliaina before sliding over from two metres out despite the attentions of Jerry Collins.

Giteau's conversion made it 13-0 and the All Blacks would have felt a distinct sense of deja vu, having faced the same deficit in South Africa.

But Carter landed a penalty after 14 minutes and after sustained pressure on the Australian line, scrum-half Weepu plunged over from close range.

Rokocoko, back in the All Blacks side, created it by bumping off Mitchell's attempted tackle on the left flank, Weepu finishing from the ensuing ruck.

Carter's superb conversion from wide out made it 13-10, and New Zealand continued to lay siege to the Wallabies line, Mark Gerrard doing well to deal with Tana Umaga's chip ahead.

Australia, already depleted by injuries, suffered two further blows before half-time.

Hooker Jeremy Paul and fly-half Giteau were both forced off, replaced by Brendan Cannon and Elton Flatley respectively.

They held on until the interval to retain a narrow advantage, but Carter's second penalty four minutes into the second half brought the sides level.

New Zealand should have scored a second try when Rico Gear failed to hold onto Muliaina's pass in the right corner, and was bundled into touch by Mitchell.

We didn't finish off all our opportunities but we'll take this result any time
NZ captain Tana Umaga
But when Australia conceded a penalty under pressure at a scrum on their own line, Carter's kick - off the left upright- put the visitors in front for the first time.

The All Blacks wasted two try-scoring chances to keep Australian hopes alive.

But quick thinking from McCaw, who took a quick tap penalty four metres out to dive over with 15 minutes left, put the visitors in command.

The one black spot on their day saw Carter carried off with 11 minutes left.

But the All Blacks finished with a flourish when a counter attack from their own 22 saw Rokocoko collect his own chip ahead to dive over.

Australia: D Mitchell; M Gerrard, S Mortlock, M Turinui, L Tuqiri; M Giteau, G Gregan (captain); B Young, J Paul, A Baxter, D Vickerman, N Sharpe, J Roe, G Smith, D Lyons.
Replacements: B Cannon, M Dunning, M Chisholm, P Waugh, C Whitaker, E Flatley, C Rathbone.

New Zealand: M Muliaina; R Gear, T Umaga (captain); A Mauger, J Rokocoko; D Carter, P Weepu; T Woodcock, K Mealamu, C Hayman, C Jack, A Williams, J Collins, R McCaw, R So'oialo.
Replacements: D Witcombe, G Somerville, J Ryan, M Holah, K Senio, L McAlister, L MacDonald.

Referee: Tony Spreadbury (England)

Attendance: 82,309

South Africa 22-16 New Zealand
06 Aug 05 |  Internationals
South Africa 22-16 Australia
30 Jul 05 |  Internationals


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport