BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 12 December, 2004, 15:04 GMT
Edinburgh 10-13 Newcastle
Jonny Wilkinson
Edinburgh (7) 10:
Con: Paterson
Pens: Godman
Newcastle (3) 13:
Cons: Wilkinson
Pens: Burke, Wilkinson
Jonny Wilkinson celebrated his latest comeback from injury by kicking Newcastle to victory over Edinburgh in their Heineken Cup Pool Five clash.

Edinburgh weathered an early storm to lead 7-3 at half time courtesy of a well-worked David Callum try.

But Wilkinson kicked Newcastle to within one point soon after replacing Dave Walder after the break.

A late Mike Stephenson try and Wilkinson conversion sealed things for Newcastle, who keep their 100% record.

Despite being given a hard time up front in last weekend's tussle at Kingston Park, the Falcons were content to keep the ball among their forwards.

Wales' Colin Charvis and Scotland lock Craig Hamilton tested the home defence early on but Edinburgh replied in confident fashion.

They forced Falcons prop Marius Hurter into a yellow card for killing the ball on the ground before breaking the deadlock with a set-piece try.

Scrum-half Mikey Blair made the initial burst before sending Scotland under-21s captain Callam cruised in under the crossbar to give Chris Paterson a simple conversion.

Jonny kept us calm in the second half and his presence allowed the team to find a win
Newcastle director of rugby Rob Andrew

Aussie Matt Burke reduced the leeway from a tricky angle soon afterwards after Paterson was put in trouble by Hugo Southwell's sloppy pass.

And Edinburgh second-row Fergus Pringle was then replaced by Scott Murray, making his comeback from the knee problem.

Burke missed with two more penalty attempts in the first half before giving up the kicking duties to Wilkinson.

But it was Brendan Laney who had the first kick at goal after the restart, narrowly off target with a drop-goal attempt.

Wilkinson got back into the swing of things in the 46th minute when he stroked over a penalty from wide on the right to slash the home advantage to a single point.

Edinburgh's Tom May tried a snap drop-goal but his effort sailed comfortably wide, before Phil Godman's long-range penalty extended Edinburgh's lead.

But Stephenson's clincher and Wilkinson's two-pointer wrapped things up for the Falcons.

Edinburgh: Southwell, Paterson, Di Rollo, MacDougall, Joiner, Laney, Blair, Jacobsen, Hall, Smith, Pringle, Kellock, Blackadder, Callam, Hogg. Replacements: Kelly, Dickinson, Murray, Strokosch, Lawson, Godman, Dey.

Newcastle: Burke, May, Noon, Mayerhofler, Stephenson, Walder, Grindal, Isaacson, Long, Hurter, Buist, Hamilton, McCarthy, Charvis, Dowson. Replacements: Ward, Thompson, Grimes, Sititi, Charlton, J. Wilkinson, Taione.

Referee: D Mene (France)


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport