BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 11 December, 2004, 17:25 GMT
Harlequins 19-46 Ospreys
Gavin Henson
Harlequins (16) 19:
Con: Jarvis.
Pens: Jarvis 4.
Ospreys (22) 46:
Henson 2, R Jones, Williams, M Jones, Terblanche.
Cons: Henson 5.
Pens: Henson 2.
Att: 7,750
Neath-Swansea Ospreys kept alive their Heineken Cup hopes with a six-try demolition of Pool Four rivals Harlequins at The Stoop.

Wales centre Gavin Henson led the charge with a 26-point haul that included a try in each half.

There were also touchdowns for the Welsh from Ryan Jones, Shane Williams, Matthew Jones and Stefan Terblanche.

England centre Will Greenwood scored Quins' solitary try, while fly-half Adrian Jarvis kicked 14 points.

The lively Henson took the man of the match honours, despite a disappointing display with the boot which saw him complete just seven of his 12 shots at goal.

But it mattered little against a feeble Harlequins side who also had Luke Sherriff, Karl Rudzki and Ace Tiatia sin-binned.

Jarvis drew first blood with a brace of penalties before Ospreys scrum-half Jason Spice was sent to the sin-bin for repeatedly straying offside.

However, the visitors took the yellow card in their stride and scored the first try of the match.

Adrian Durston did the initial damage with a mazy run, but it was Henson who set up the score with a perfectly weighted crossfield kick that Terblanche fielded to score.

It's not acceptable to give a display like that - we've gone a long way backwards
Harlequins boss Mark Evans

Henson missed the conversion but slotted a tricky long-range penalty moments later, although another three points from Jarvis reduced Quins' deficit to a single point.

But the Welsh side moved further ahead when centre Sonny Parker's powerful break started the move that saw Henson crash over, adding the extras himself.

The teams exchanged tries in the space of two minutes of first-half injury time, Greenwood crossing for Quins and Ryan Jones breaking through for the Ospreys.

But it was all Ospreys after half-time, as the under pressure Quins suffered a string of sin-binnings.

Jarvis kept the scoreboard ticking over for the home side with his boot, but the Ospreys regularly crossed the try line at the other end.

Henson broke two feeble tackles before touching down, converting his own try, Williams crossed in the corner and then fly-half Matthew Jones wrapped up the scoring in injury time.

The win and bonus point puts the Ospreys right back in the race for the knock-out stages, but it looks all over for Harlequins.

Harlequins: Williams; Harder, Greenwood, James, Keogh; Jarvis, So'oialo; C Jones, Fuga, Fitzgerald, Winters, Miall, Easter, Sherriff, Vos (capt).
Replacements: Tiatia, Dawson, Rudzki, Molitika, Dunne, Deane, Duffy.

Ospreys: Durston; Terblanche, Parker, Henson, S Williams; M Jones, Spice; D Jones, B Williams (capt), Millward, Newman, Thomas, Bater, Tandy, R Jones.
Replacements: Davies, James, Cockbain, Lloyd, Pugh, A Williams, Seveali'i.

Referee: Christophe Berdos (France).

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other Sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport