BBC Sport
 You are in: Rugby Union: Celtic  
Sport Front Page
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Friday, 13 September, 2002, 20:23 GMT 21:23 UK
Munster stay on top
Now way through the Munster defence for Graham Shiel
Edinburgh thought they had claimed victory
Edinburgh 21-28 Munster

A last-gasp try by Lions centre Rob Henderson along with a series of great kicks by Jeremy Staunton wrecked Edinburgh's unbeaten Celtic League record at Meadowbank.

And victory kept Munster on top of Pool A.

The home fans were cheering almost immediately after the start of the game as Brendan Laney banged over a penalty.

Laney was in the spotlight again when he was knocked flying by a hefty challenge after taking a good catch.

His team-mates over-reacted and were penalised, giving Jeremy Staunton a simple chance to square the issue.

Martin Leslie (left) is outjumped by Rob Henderson
Henderson (right) grabbed the vital try
Edinburgh hit back positively to create an excellent touchdown.

The ball was flashed out wide to Derrick Lee, who then deceived marker John Kelly with a change of pace.

Laney was wide with the angled conversion, then missed a penalty shortly afterwards.

To compound his frustrations, Staunton clawed back another three points at the other end.

He repeated the feat to put the Irishmen ahead for the first time, only to see Edinburgh create a second try.

The alert Simon Taylor pounced to charge down an intended clearance from Henderson, then hacked the loose ball towards the Munster line.

Unselfishly, he then scooped it up and flicked it out to the unmarked Chris Paterson, who was left with a stroll round behind the uprights to give Laney a formality of a kick.

Edinburgh let their concentration lapse before the break and allowed Staunton to equalise through two more penalties.

But there was still enough time for Laney to strike again to give his side a narrow interval advantage.

The penalty exchanges continued as Staunton fired over number six, then Munster were reduced to 14 men.

Duncan Hodge clipped over an opportunist drop goal to push Edinburgh's noses back in front.

But then came Henderson's dramatic score - leaving Edinburgh with a battle on their hands to earn a prized home tie in the quarter-finals.

Edinburgh (18) 21: Tries: Lee, Paterson. Con: Laney. Pens: Laney 2. DG: Hodge.

Munster (15) 28: Try: Henderson. Con: Staunton. Pens: Staunton 7.

Att: 4,500.

Edinburgh: Brendan Laney; Derrick Lee, Craig Joiner, Graham Shiel, Chris Paterson; Duncan Hodge, Mike Blair; Allan Jacobsen, Dougie Hall, Craig Smith, Nathan Hines, Scott Murray, Todd Blackadder, Simon Taylor, Martin Leslie.
Replacements: Andrew Kelly, Joel Brannigan, Alastair Kellock, Andrew Dall, Mark McMillan, Tom Philip, Simon Webster.

Munster: Jeremy Staunton, John Kelly; Mike Mullins, Rob Henderson, John O'Neill; Jason Holland, Dominic Malone; Marcus Horan, Frank Sheahan, John Hayes, Donncha O'Callaghan, Mick O'Driscoll, Jim Williams, Alan Quinlan, Anthony Foley.
Replacements: Simon Kerr, James Blaney, Mick Galwey, Eddie Halvey, Mike Prendergast, Killian Keane, Dominic Crotty.

The final



Links to more Celtic stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Celtic stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales