BBC Sport rugbyunion


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 19:49 GMT, Saturday, 9 April 2011 20:49 UK

Warriors see off Exiles in Championship play-off battle

Marcel Garvey
Marcel Garvey was the Warriors try-scorer in a tight game at Old Deer Park

Worcester survived a major scare in a hard-fought match at London Welsh to secure a home Championship play-off with a 22-20 win at Old Deer Park.

Marcel Garvey crossed the Welsh line on 13 minutes with Andy Goode converting to give Worcester a 7-0 lead.

But the Exiles hit back with a try of their own through Hudson Tonga'huia which was converted by Gordon Ross.

Goode then landed three further penalties to Ross' one to give the Warriors a 16-10 half-time lead.

A further Goode penalty on 52 minutes appeared to give the Warriors some breathing space as the extended the advantage to nine points before he and Ross again traded penalties.

In a very tight and bruising game, chances for tries were at a premium but London Welsh were to have the last say in this aspect as Eerie Claassens, who has just signed for the Warriors , set up a tense finish when he crossed in the final minute.

Ross was again on target with the conversion to bring London Welsh back to within two points and they then had a chance to seal what would have been a famous victory.

Warriors turned over possession and in their desperation to win it back they then conceded a penalty five metres inside their own half.

With time fast running out, Ross lined up what would have been a match-winning penalty attempt but his effort fell just short.

Worcester will round off their group matches with a home match against Bristol on Saturday, 16 April, but they are now guaranteed a home tie in the Championship play-off semi-finals.

Worcester head coach Richard Hill told BBC Hereford and Worcester:
"A 16-10 [half-time] lead was excellent against the wind and we had that wind behind us in that second half and I suppose I really thought we would put a lot of pressure on them and get away from them.

"But they put up a real fight and I was disappointed at the start of the second half when we turned them over and kept the ball for two minutes and got a penalty.

"We should have gone for three points, the players know that but we went for a scrum and knocked the ball on and London Welsh relieved the pressure.

"But just after half-time, to have gone up 19-10 would really have put them under massive pressure."

London Welsh: Thomas, Drauniniu, Tonga'uiha, Whatling, Claassens, Ross, Runciman, Pittman, Ma'asi, Ward, Powell, Corker, Mills, Hills, Russell.

Worcester: Arscott, Garvey, Crockett, Rasmussen, Benjamin, Goode, Arr, A. Black, Fortey, Taumoepeau, Kitchener, Gillies, Best, Kvesic, Horstmann.

Att: 2,057

Ref: Tim Wrigglesworth (RFU).

Print Sponsor

Copyright © 2016 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.