BBC Sport rugbyunion


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 20:51 GMT, Friday, 24 October 2008 21:51 UK

Newcastle 13-26 Wasps

Newcastle (6) 13
Try: Vickers Con: Clegg Pens: Clegg 2

Wasps (12) 26
Tries: Sackey, Voyce, Rees, Simpson Cons: Cipriani 3

Wasps' Josh Lewsey takes out Jamie Noon
Lewsey and Noon collide early in the match

Newcastle centre Jamie Noon was carried off in a neck brace as Wasps ran in four tries to win in the EDF Cup.

Noon was injured in a double tackle by Josh Lewsey and Jeremy Staunton.

Paul Sackey's try cancelled out an early Rory Clegg penalty and after Clegg kicked another, Tom Rees's try ensured Wasps led at the break.

Danny Cipriani set up Tom Voyce for Wasps' third and although Rob Vickers' try gave Newcastle hope Joe Simpson's late score wrapped things up for Wasps.

England centre Noon was carried off and replaced by Tom Dillon after eight minutes, following a long delay for treatment.

His team were already ahead through Clegg's penalty but Wasps soon hit back when Sackey had an easy run-in to score after good work by Lewsey.

Clegg and Dillon posed plenty of threat for the home side and when Lewsey was caught offside, it was a chance for Clegg to slot over another penalty.

But Rees burrowed over the line to score before half-time with Cipriani supplying the afters, and it was Cipriani again who helped extend the advantage after the break, when he set up Wasps' third try.

His high kick into the left-hand corner bounced off Ollie Phillips to the waiting Voyce, who ran in to score, with Cipriani converting.

Late on Tom May thought he had put Newcastle back in the game, only for his try to be ruled out for a foot in touch, and although Mick Young set up Vickers for a late Falcons try, there was no comeback.

Simpson's surging run to touch down gave Wasps a bonus-point fourth try, with Cipriani's third conversion of the night sealing the victory.

Newcastle director of rugby Steve Bates:

"It hasn't been a lucky evening in terms of injuries or the result, but Jamie is fine although he got whacked and it looks like concussion.

"He had a bit of tingling down one arm which is why the medical staff took all the precautions they did and Jamie was out for a while, but he is walking around downstairs now and seems fine."

Wasps director of rugby Ian McGeechan:

"I thought Danny's (Cipriani) game management was better tonight and Josh (Lewsey) has had three very good games for us on the trot.

"We've come away with four tries and a bonus point so we can't complain because we usually don't find it too easy at Newcastle."

Newcastle: Jones; Phillips, Noon, May, Rudd, Clegg, Grindal; McDonnell, Long, Hayman, Perry, Sorenson, Balding, Wilson, Winter (c).
Replacements: Vickers, Golding, Beattie, Dowson, Young, Davey, Dillon.

Wasps: Van Gisbergen; Sackey, Lewsey, Staunton, Voyce, Cipriani, Robinson; Payne, Webber, Barnard, Birkett, Palmer, Haskell, Rees (c), Worsley.
Replacements: Varley, Vickery, Hart, Betsen, Simpson, Leo, Walder.

Sin Bin: Barnard (72)

Att: 5,202

Ref: Tim Wigglesworth (RFU)

Print Sponsor

see also
European Challenge Cup R2 review
19 Oct 08 |  Rugby Union
Leinster 41-11 Wasps
18 Oct 08 |  Rugby Union
EDF Energy Anglo-Welsh Cup 2008/9
19 Jun 08 |  Rugby Union
Anglo-Welsh Cup archive
24 Jul 06 |  Welsh

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.