BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Friday, 17 December, 2004, 22:19 GMT
Glasgow 35-0 Connacht
Michael Bradley's Connacht side were on the wrong end of a hammering
Glasgow (14) 35:
Tries: S Lamont 2, Tckachuk, MacFadyen.
Con: Howarth 2.
Pens: Howarth 3.
Connacht (0) 0:
Att: 1,423
Glasgow thumped an out-of-sorts Connacht in Friday's Celtic League game to boost their chances of making the end-of-season cup competition.

Three Calvin Howarth penalties put Glasgow in control and Sean Lamont's try before the break extended the home team's half-time lead to 14-0.

Kevin Tkachuk ended any hope of a Connacht revival by scoring Glasgow's second try just after the break.

Lamont's second try and a Donnie Macfadyen try ensured a bonus point.

Before kick-off, the sides were level pegging in mid-table but Connacht never looked in the hunt in tricky conditions at a muddy Hughenden.

Glasgow made a rip-roaring start, pinning the province back in their own 22 - but they failed to turn heavy pressure into a significant early lead.

The Scots had to rely on the boot of stand-off Howarth to edge them in front as he found the target from an awkward angle on the right.

With Connacht still under the cosh, Howarth repeated the feat to steady the Glasgow jitters which had been underlined by a spate of basic handling errors.

It took the Irishmen until almost midway through the half to force their way into enemy territory but they also were unable to make the most of their opening.

They earned a penalty 30 metres out, only for Paul Warwick's effort to drift past the far post.

There were alarm bells among the Connacht back-markers when Sean Lamont looked destined to latch onto his own chip with virtually a clear path to the line.

But the Test winger grimaced in disgust as he let the ball slip from his fingertips.

Glasgow stepped up the tempo as the break neared and Connacht suffered a three-pronged setback, with Lamont back in the spotlight for the right reasons.

First, Howarth completed his penalty treble - then Warwick was sent to the sinbin for blocking a rival by lying on him after a tackle.

The home troops took immediate advantage of their extra man by sending Lamont in at the corner with a huge miss-pass by Howarth.

After half-time, Howarth embarked on the run which paved the way for Glasgow's second touchdown by Canadian World Cup prop Kevin Tkachuk.

Even better was to come for the Warriors when Lamont collected his second score following a great run by Colin Shaw and Howarth again added the extras.

Donnie Macfadyen bagged the all-important fourth try, with substitute Dan Parks landing the kick to round off the rout.

Glasgow: C Shaw, R Lamont, G Morrison, A Henderson, S Lamont, C Howarth, G Beveridge, K Tkachuk, S Lawson, E Murray, A Hall, D Turner, A Wilson, D Macfadyen, J Petrie (capt.).
Replacements: G Bulloch, A Kelly, J Beardshaw, J Beattie, S Pinder, D Parks, G Maclure.

Connacht: M Mostyn, J Meagher, P Warwick, J Downey, C McPhillips, E Elwood, C Keane, R Hogan, B Jackman, S Knoop, C Short, A Farley, M Swift, J Muldoon, J O'Sullivan.
Replacements: J Fogarty, A Clarke, P Myburgh, B O'Connor, T Tierney, T Robinson, N O'Brien.



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport