BBC Home
Explore the BBC
| Help
Last Updated: Friday, 26 September, 2003, 20:27 GMT 21:27 UK
Connacht humble Glasgow
Glasgow 19-30 Connacht

Paul Neville powers towards the Glasgow line
Glasgow (5) 19
Tries: Morrison, Harrison, Beardshaw
Cons: Parks 2
Connacht (23) 30
Tries: McPhillips, Walls, Mostyn
Cons: McHugh 3
Pens: McHugh 3
Att: 3,146

Glasgow hurtled to earth with a bump at Hughenden as dark horses Connacht completed their dream treble over Scotland's pro teams this season.

The home side's hopes had been high in the wake of their Celtic Cup triumph at Bridgend, but they fell to pieces against the spirited Irishmen.

Honours were even in the scrappy opening sparring session, though Glasgow wasted a great opportunity to make an instant impression.

Full-back Stuart Moffat had wing Gareth Maclure unmarked on his outside but opted to go on his own and was hauled down as he dashed into the 22 zone.

Calvin Howarth was then handed a chance to break the deadlock with a penalty following fine work by Maclure, Moffat and Jon Steel, but he was off-target.

Howarth squandered an even easier penalty opportunity and the Irish province made the most of their reprieve by edging in front with a long-range angled effort by Mark McHugh.

Moffat was soon back in attack to help create Joe Beardshaw's first try for Glasgow.

But, yet again, Howarth was wide with the kick.

Even worse was to come for Glasgow as scrum-half Mike Walls darted through for a fine opportunist score, converted by McHugh.

Lee Harrison celebrates his try for Glasgow
Lee Harrison scored one of Glasgow's consolation tries
Connacht grabbed total control with a further burst of points before the break.

McHugh banged over two more penalties and converted a try by substitute wing Matt Mostyn to leave the home side in trouble.

Their third try was claimed by wing Conor McPhillips, with McHugh completing his conversion hat-trick.

Glasgow eventually broke through with a score by Graeme Morrison and a Lee Harrison effort, converted by substitute Dan Parks.

But the home side were never really in the hunt as Connacht took the points.

Glasgow: S. Moffat, Steel, Morrison, A. Bulloch, MacLure, Howarth, McMillian, A. Kelly, Gunn, Harrison, Hall, Beardshaw, Mather, MacFadyen, Reid.
Replacements: Lawson, Murray, Ross, Dearlove, Sinclair, Parks, Millard.

Connacht: McHugh, McPhillips, Yapp, T. Allnut, Munn, Hewitt, Walls., Hogan, Jackman, Boiroux, Browne, Farley, Swift, Neville, O'Sullivan.
Replacements: Fogarty, Howell, McCarthy, Carter., Keane, Moore, Mostyn.

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport